2001 200hp Optimax lower unit problem or not?

Came back home from a fishing trip and as I was wiping down my boat, I noticed a small piece of wood, maybe a twig, sticking out of one of the four holes that are on the very front of the nose cone of the lower unit. I tried to grab the piece and pull it out but it fell into the hole and into the lower unit casing instead. Does anyone know what these 4 holes are for and will the small piece of wood, about a 1/4" long, cause any problems down the line?

thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your engine is likely a 3L model, and as such, those four small holes are the low water inlets. The piece of wood will be sucked into the cooling system, and end up lodged somewhere either causing a blockage, or holding a thermostat (or poppet valve) open, which will cause potential cooling (and potentially major mechanical) failures.

Best bet is to have the shift shaft seal plate removed, water pump removed, and fish the debris out of the passages (replace at least the impeller and gaskets while you're in there).

Moving post to the 3L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor