Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for those who hunt fox, coyote, or wolves

I saw the post regarding wolves being taken off the endangered species list and it brought to mind a question I have wondered about before. I haven't hunted for many years and when I did it was small game. I am not against hunting in the least but I've always wondered if the mindset is different when you hunt wild dogs? Being a dog lover and having grown up with dogs all my life, I just can't imagine shooting one unless my life was in danger. Yes, I realize a fox, wolf, or coyote is a wild dog, but it's still a dog. I guess the same case could be made for those that are cat lovers and hunt bobcat or mountain lions. Is it simply a matter of the animal being wild and therefore you don't think of it the same way as you do your lab or german shepherd? Just curious, not judging.

2. Member
    Fun to kill. Meat taste bad. Make cheap coyote-fried-rice.

Shot plenty of coyotes. We use to get $2 an ear for them. When they dropped the bounty— Head shots, pelts when I was a kid would bring $25.

They aren’t dogs, they spread rabies and distemper, run cattle through fences and kill sheep and chickens.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    They aren’t dogs...
    While closely related, they are NOT simply wild dogs.

Coyote = Canis Latrans
    Fido = Canis Familiaris

...and to your question: No. I have no problem shooting coyotes. Have never shot a fox, but imagine it to be about the same.

-b-

5. Banned
    you dont own livestock,,, wild and domestic canines can be pretty destructive .

6. Member
    Used to hunt foxes when I was younger and then got married....LOL

7. Member
    Shooting a Coyote, no problem. They are just big pests where I shot them at. I don't see a reason to shoot a fox unless they are getting your chickens or something. Shooting one won't solve the problem though, securing your chickens will, another will come around if there is easy access to an easy meal.

8. Member
    If you ever saw the way coyotes killed deer fawns and how many they killed before they grew enough to escape their attacks.... you would never feel sorry for them. They are ferocious and show no mercy. Have seen several foxes and Bobcats while in the woods always leave them alone.

9. Member
    How about a pack of wild dogs? They are all over between Raccoon Creek and Nickajack Dam on the Tennessee. I think they would worry be more than a pack of coyotes as far as my own safety.

I’ve been a fish lover my whole life , but I don’t feel guilty when I fillet a 7 pound smallmouth.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I’ve been a fish lover my whole life , but I don’t feel guilty when I fillet a 7 pound smallmouth.

I dont have any problems killing the devils they wiped out all my chickens a few years ago and got so brave they got on my front porch and took my daughters stuffed animals off the swing.

They are furbearers, plain and simple.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

13. Banned
    Coyote - when shot do you just leave them lay? I tried once sat in my deer stand and have a cheap electronic call. I would have shot just didn't see one. Tons in the area but how do I get them to come in?

I've seen them chase a fawn all over a bean field bowhunting last year and it was cool to see how they worked as a team but the mom protected it and they escaped form what I saw.

14. Member
    You are correct, even though I live around plenty of farmers and have uncles that farm, I don't own livestock and honestly never gave a thought to the destruction coyotes can do to chickens and livestock. Good point. As I said before, I'm not judging those that hunt them, just wondered if there was any different mindset to killing them since they resemble (in looks) the pets we view as part of the family.

15. Member
    They also deplete the small game that we do enjoy hunting. Rabbit/pheasant/ turkey etc..

16. Member
    I see the need for coyote hunting, but I’m not a fan of killing something for the enjoyment of killing. I’m not going to shoot something I don’t plan on eating. Same as with fish, I won’t kill one if I don’t plan on eating it. There’s people who shoot coyotes just to leave the carcass behind but will squeal like a 2yo when someone skips or punts a bass across the water.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I see the need for coyote hunting, but I’m not a fan of killing something for the enjoyment of killing. I’m not going to shoot something I don’t plan on eating. Same as with fish, I won’t kill one if I don’t plan on eating it. There’s people who shoot coyotes just to leave the carcass behind but will squeal like a 2yo when someone skips or punts a bass across the water.
    Agreed! Ignorance and Hypocrisy! It’s alive and well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member
    I'd shoot a coyote (humanely) in a heart beat but I would clean up the carnage. Don't leave a dead animal anywhere I would want desired quarry (deer) to be attracted to.
    Joey Aderhold

19. Member
    I have been calling and trapping coyotes for the better part of my 37 years. Have I shot them an left them, yes but not in view of the public . I do however try to sell them when possible. My mindset is no different than shooting a deer or a turkey. It is a resource that needs controlled. Mange, parvo, and other k-9 virus will mange the population but not nearly as humanely and as quick. The problem is with there is a short window of the year fur is prime and desirable. But even in this time you get coyotes that the fur is worthless such as coyotes with mange or that are rubbed. Our coyotes here start to prime up end of November and are good until February for the most part on average. So do I tell the farmer that wants me to thin them out before his fall breed cows start calving that I have to wait a month or two until the calves are already done and fur is prime. Same thing with spring calvers . Fur is past prime by then but if they are causing problems they have to go. Yes I enjoy doing it. Trapping is long hours and hard work and I enjoy knowing I can place a trap in the ground and trick a coyote into stepping where I made them. Which for anyone who has not done it isn’t easy. Call me a hypocrite for not skinning every coyote but some are just meant for the dead pit. I don’t drop kick any bass either. I have seen the damage coyotes mainly but predators can cause and don’t feel bad about helping control them. Plus if you are effective with controlling coyotes you will be surprised at how many doors it will open for other outdoor activities. I get that some people see it different and that’s fine but just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t make it wrong it’s just not for you.

20. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    To be fair, I shoot the bass before punting them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast