Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I would think in some way they have a part in the ecosystem. I would think a farmer may use them to control rabbits and other varmits from eating crops.

2. Member
    If you run a cow/calf operation like my family does you have to control the coyote population. They are also a serious predator of fawns and a danger to domestic dogs. A pack lured my parents farm dog (lab mix) away from the house, surrounded him and attacked. Fortunately my dad was able to intervene since he was up that night heading out to check on a calf. They are not "man's best friend". I don't shoot things to just shoot them (i.e. foxes or bobcats) but coyotes will be shot regardless of the current fur price.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
    I have been calling and trapping coyotes for the better part of my 37 years. Have I shot them an left them, yes but not in view of the public . I do however try to sell them when possible. My mindset is no different than shooting a deer or a turkey. It is a resource that needs controlled. Mange, parvo, and other k-9 virus will mange the population but not nearly as humanely and as quick. The problem is with there is a short window of the year fur is prime and desirable. But even in this time you get coyotes that the fur is worthless such as coyotes with mange or that are rubbed. Our coyotes here start to prime up end of November and are good until February for the most part on average. So do I tell the farmer that wants me to thin them out before his fall breed cows start calving that I have to wait a month or two until the calves are already done and fur is prime. Same thing with spring calvers . Fur is past prime by then but if they are causing problems they have to go. Yes I enjoy doing it. Trapping is long hours and hard work and I enjoy knowing I can place a trap in the ground and trick a coyote into stepping where I made them. Which for anyone who has not done it isn’t easy. Call me a hypocrite for not skinning every coyote but some are just meant for the dead pit. I don’t drop kick any bass either. I have seen the damage coyotes mainly but predators can cause and don’t feel bad about helping control them. Plus if you are effective with controlling coyotes you will be surprised at how many doors it will open for other outdoor activities. I get that some people see it different and that’s fine but just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t make it wrong it’s just not for you.
    Thank you for sharing. I completely understand ..

4. Member
    OK, pretty dumb question here, I know.

Where/what happens with a good coyote pelt? I thought furs were out in fashion during recent years. Who buys a coyote pelt and where does it wind up?

p.s. I am all for killing them, just wonder why wait for the pelt season?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Yes, I realize a fox, wolf, or coyote is a wild dog, but it's still a dog.
    Wrong......

6. Member
    yotes also grab small pets have attacked kids and adults worthless animals.
    Last edited by Mutt; 10-30-2020 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post

Where/what happens with a good coyote pelt? I thought furs were out in fashion during recent years. Who buys a coyote pelt and where does it wind up?

it is used for trim around the hood of jackets. Hope I explained that okay. It is used elsewhere but this is where the better fur is typically used. If you are a trapper, coyotes are one of the few things bringing a decent price.

8. Banned
    Only the OP knows why he doesnt hunt anymore
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    I hunt a lot. Mainly deer. But I do coyote hunt, bobcat, fox as well. I also trap the above an raccoons, opossums, otters, beavers you name it. An trust me none of its easy. We trap to because it fills a void of when you can't be there to hunt them. Your not gona make a living or really any money trapping or hunting from the fur because of the price is so low. So we do it to control the population on our farms an besides it is enjoyable as well. I prefer hunting but im not going to lie, trapping tugs on my feelings a little because you are taking an animals life with your hands because we don't shoot an animal in a trap. But we do it humanely as possible an give each animal we take the respect it deserves not matter what animal it is. With coyotes its a love hate relationship. I respect them because are survivors an are very smart. But I read an article not that long ago on coyote statistics an it said on average an adult coyote will kill 3 fawns a year. I about fell out of my seat. If you figure how many there are thats a ton of fawns. If I can save a few fawns a year then I know eat come every deer season. Last night every deer I seen got chased off by coyotes so you can tell what I need to be doing more of.

10. Member
    Mattks you an I couldn't agree more

11. Member
    I generally only hunt yotes during the furbearing season and give them to a trapper friend. I do it mostly to help the deer and have no interest in hunting fox or bobcat. That's just me.

I also have no interest in hunting fisher or bear but I don't have any issue with people who do.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angler103 View Post
    it is used for trim around the hood of jackets. Hope I explained that okay. It is used elsewhere but this is where the better fur is typically used. If you are a trapper, coyotes are one of the few things bringing a decent price.
    The Russian army used to spec them for their winter parka trim so that kept the price up for many years (the Russians don't really listen to PETA much). Is that still the case?

13. Member
    What's nice is in a free country you can choose what you want to believe or hunt. There is no right or wrong.
    Not every animal is killed for food. I mean should we save every mouse and rat be cause they are neat little creatures.

Is a coyote a dog? I don't know, however my house dog doesn't eat my chickens. I can't say the same for the coyote. Is the terrible death of chickens being torn apart any less than shooting a coyote? Do you want your 6 year old petting the family dog or trying to snuggle with a wild coyote?

I mean you can justify anything you want with words. To put it bluntly if you like coyotes and look at them as dogs I'm Ok with that. I say feed them and have them hang around your house. I have no problem with your views.

However I ask that you respect that I know they are not dogs and by treating them as dogs invites a very serious and dangerous interaction with only one outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post

I think the fur on the hood of cold weather gear ( military) was coyote fur.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    I would think in some way they have a part in the ecosystem. I would think a farmer may use them to control rabbits and other varmits from eating crops.
    It would be nice if coyotes only specialized in one type of prey but they're opportunists that will kill and eat whatever they need, want , or find depending on availability. Even if you could get them to focus on the rabbits/woodchucks/nutria or whatever the pest is, if the food is plentiful, the coyotes will up their breeding until the prey is depleted and then they'll have to move on to a new food source. That might be deer and pheasants or it might be livestock and family pets.

16. Member
    Guys, I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. I said it twice...I do NOT have a problem with anyone that decides to hunt coyotes, fox, or wolves. Good points have been made about coyotes in particular, points I hadn't thought of. I was simply asking if the mindset was any different when hunting them. It's not...OK. Question answered.

17. Member
    Some areas fawn mortality rate is 6 out of 10 on deer. Coyotes are an important part of the ecosystem where they are native. But with them expending their range they have an adverse effect on other native animals. Look at foxes. Coyotes will pretty much wipe out a fox population where you only see them in towns and maybe around the occasional farmsteads where they are safe from coyotes. Coyotes will kill them every chance they get. Same with wolves will kill coyotes every chance they get. K-9s do play an important role in an ecosystem but still have to be keep in check to maintain a balance. Wether man does it or Mother Nature through disease. I just want to put this out there because I hear it a lot that there no need for the fur industry anymore that man made fibers are as good or better. PETA types usually say this who think they are green. Besides making the man made fibers and how it effects the world which is another topic altogether what about when you wash your clothes. These fibers come off and for the most part are not biodegradable. Fur is. So all the fake fur is still polluting every time it is washed.

18. Member
    Trail camera can show you what is eating from your wife's cat's food bowl, or show you what ate your wife's cat.

You ever seen fluffy the neighbor lady's pomeranian hunt down 10 head of elk in deep snow only to hamstring or disembowel them all, eat 1, leave the rest to die and rot? Or perhaps her house cat hunt down the very last woodland caribou living in Idaho? How about your your Yorkie start eating an Angus calf alive while its being born like a coyote? They aren't wild cats and dogs guys, we all live in an ecosystem forever changed by our human existence, predators will always have to be controlled to maintain balance. Sad but true

20. Member
    If I'm out deer hunting and I see a coyote it officially becomes a coyote hunt. I look at it like others said help out the turkeys the deer and ect

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast