Question - Comparable Hook but Smaller

I have a mold that currently accepts 3/0-5/0 hooks and looking to pour some jigs with 2/0, maybe even 1/0. I love the hook the mold calls for but it only comes in 3/0-5/0 as well. Any suggestions for a comparable hook? Will I run into any problems pouring this mold with a smaller hook than it calls for?

Mold:
    Model# SMJ-3-SF
    https://store.do-itmolds.com/Casting...arb_p_947.html

Hook: Mustad 32886BLN
    https://store.do-itmolds.com/Mustad-...-50_p_375.html
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

2. Member

3. Member
    interesting. that may work! What if the thickness of the hook is not big enough to stop the lead from staying in the cavity, any recommendations?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    interesting. that may work! What if the thickness of the hook is not big enough to stop the lead from staying in the cavity, any recommendations?

Any thicker hook should not have that problem. If you use a thinner hook say the Mustad 32724 4/0 you may jet some flashing around the eye and rear. The flashing is easily removed with a file or something? I use a dull exacto knife myself.

My concern with those hooks is the overall length of the hook is not long enough to fit into the mold.

Allen

5. Member
    Pretty sure a VMC7329 will fit in that mold, goes down to 1/0. Might not clear the bottom though. You might have to take a dremel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    A little red high temp silicone where the shank of the hook exits the cavity shroud solve the flash problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Thanks for the ideas guys!