Drain plug advice

Related to my re-wiring thread. Took my trailer to a buddy's house and he was able to splice the cut wires back together (just like a couple of you said) and all lights are working perfectly

drove it home in a monsoon, backed it in the garage (used the wheel dollies, thanks again) and it had a lot of water in it. So got a bucket went to take the drain plug out, stuck, I mean stuck

it's the kind with the metal t handle that you screw in and our. Basically had to pry it out with a screw driver and tore the metal part out, destroyed the plug (lots of water came out). Not sure this plug had ever been out.

So before I look, I'm asking the opinion of the wise Ranger owners. Will any plug do? If possible do not want the metal T kind

thanks again guys. Lot of knowledge on this board

to save another thread, I'm also installing retractable boat buddies, so advice there is welcome too:)

2. Member
    I always felt more comfortable with the T-handle, I could feel it get tight. Just a personal preference, I guess. You could buy the kind with the lever handle just make sure when you flip the lever, it is up, and not down. I have seen some of the lever ones where the lever hangs below the hull and while running water coming off the bottom of the hull could flip the lever open. I get the inconvenience of the T- handle but I’d just buy a new one of those.
    Last edited by 620Ranger; 10-28-2020 at 09:57 PM.

3. Member
    Trying to post a pic, what’s the procedure

4. Member
    Sorry, had to edit my post because I didn’t fully read your original post about the T-handle you took out being broken.

5. Member
    broken yes and T kind would be good if I could get it out

6. Member

7. Member
    what would you do with this? 620 I know you know so c'mon with it!

I got tired of messing with and having to crawl under the boat to put in the drain plug. I installed a Flow-Rite remote drain plug and have been totally happy with the result. I didn't want to drill a 2" hole in the boat so I bought a 2-1/4" trailer plug bracket and mounted it under the lid for the battery compartment. Easy access and no big hole !! Just have to put some waterproof grease on the "O" ring once in a while.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....180&highlight=
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Yep...good time to install remote drain plug.

10. Member
    What type plug and if its the rubber T handle type did you just pull out the center pin handle or did you pull the through hull permanent part out.

Rubber t handle insert plug

brass T handle screw in style

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    pulled the whole T part out

That's an expansion plug. When you turn the T handle it tightens and compresses the rubber to hold it in the hole. Turn the T handle counter-clockwise to loosen before you start pulling out.

Love my remote drain.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Member
    I went remote. Easy to install and a back saver. Your choice. Put the control in the splashwell. Easy-peasy.

Seen Dan?

14. Member
    accidentally broke the transom drain tube (it was corroded)> Will post what I put on the general bass boat forum. Still need help!

15. Member
    Old boat, plug was stuck (T-handle brass kind that screws and enlarges). Ended up prying the plug out, but the metal transom drain tube came with it

This is an all fiberglass transom

coated this replacement plug (https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...cts/drain-plug) with a lot of silicone and inserted it in the bare hole

drove 2 screws in, dipped the screws in 2 part marine epoxy, then sealed the edge of the whole thing with silicon

Now am thinking I need to change this setup and start over, because I didn't really seal the edges around the hole with anything other than silicone

so am thinking about taking the crews out (assuming they will come out), and removing this model. Replacing it with a metal transom drain tube (like was in it before), and just a t-bar drain plug

So, any advice or tips is welcomed. Solid plan? Forgot somethings? How would you do it?

also, contemplated removing the assembly and re-installing using marine epoxy to hold the assembly in the hole.

If you went with the transom tube, how would you seal it in?

thanks guys, have been thinking about this for a week