Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Wife just ordered one from Wally World. 12,000 watts. Propane or gas. I have an extra propane tank 250 gallon tank. Don’t have a clue how long that will run. Got to learn how to install a transfer switch next.

2. Member
    Seconds on he welder have a lincoln ranger 10000 got it on sale at a rental place closing . ran it 44 hrs straight after one storm and have done a bunch of projects with it as well .

3. Member
    Im having my generac installed tomorrow for the whole house

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I've got two portables one from Lowe's 8500 start up for the house and just picked up a smaller Honda 6500 for the well pump. No natural gas in the hood and sure can't afford Propane for the Generac. Have a Buddy that has a propane Genrac and when Micheal blew thru here cost him close to $3k in propane.

5. Member
    I have a champion dual fuel and i really like it. They make them in smaller inverter all the way up to 8000w. I have the 8000w model and its more than i would ever need, i barely run the thing beyond 30% capacity most of the time when i use it. I normally run my fridge in the house as well as a tv and a few lights as well as the fridge in my shop and the deep freezer that is also out there. I will also run the furnace in the house as well if its cold.

For the house i have a thing called a genlink that is a transfer switch that goes in behind the meter, works great and was a simple install for the electrician. I flip off all the breakers except the ones i need before i kick it on. The shop stuff i string extension cords.

The thing i like about the champion is the ability to run it off both gas and propane. I normally have 4 100lb tanks for my workshop heat plus two spares and a few 20lb tanks kicking around that i can use. Unlike gas propane can sit without going sour so if there is a blizzard or something like that where i cannot get gas easily. i don't like to keep a ton of gas just kicking around to the propane is a huge advantage. I can run off a those 100lb tanks for a few days easily which gives me time to go get gasoline if the outage is going to be for an extended time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I've got two portables one from Lowe's 8500 start up for the house and just picked up a smaller Honda 6500 for the well pump. No natural gas in the hood and sure can't afford Propane for the Generac. Have a Buddy that has a propane Genrac and when Micheal blew thru here cost him close to $3k in propane.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

7. Member
    For 15 yrs have run a rigid 10k start 8k, plugs 220 into wall socket wired into converter box hooked up to house electric. Runs well, gas furnace, air, kitchen, outside lights, living room and wall 110 outlets. 2/3 house is covered. Finally this year, had to replace battery as it’s electric start. 8 gal tank gets me 12 hrs of power. Works for me. I have a friend that has a generac generator. Ask everybody what their maintenance costs are for generac after the warantee is out. The more my friend uses a generac, the more it has to be maintained. Granted, it’s the perfect setup if you have the cash and do nothing attitude. I change the oil and clean the air filter once a year and finally changed the spark plugs after 15 yrs of usage and where I live, I loose power couple dozen times a year living in wooded hills of SW Indiana. Go big. Bigger is better.

I am in Florida and have a 15000 watt generator for our house. Its a Generac generator. I can run almost everything in out house but with that said I only flip the breakers for the items I want running. So during the day the AC and the living room has power. At night I run the AC and the bedrooms. Seems to help relieve stress on the generator. Sounds weird but you can hear it working harder when everything in the house is running. I can usually get 7 hours out of a tank of gas so I just fill it up before bed. This is a portable generator that I keep in the garage. Probably the hardest thing to do is remember to get it out and start it once a month to keep things running. I do drain the gas and run the gas out of the carb before storing it.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

GeI

https://www.tools-plus.com/generac-7...hoC6p8QAvD_BwE

Tech Specs:

• Brand: Generac
    • Model: iQ3500
    • MPN: 7127
    • UPC: 696471072600
    • Type: Invertor Generator
    • Maximum Starting Watts: 3500
    • Running Watts: 3000
    • Engine cc: 212
    • Engine Make: Generac
    • Engine Type: OHV
    • Fuel Type: Gasoline
    • Product Height: 21.7
    • Product Length: 23.7
    • Product Width: 18
    • Product Weight (lbs): 109.1
    • Starting Method: Electric / Recoil Pull Start
    • Warranty: 3 Year Limited
    • Package Qty.: 1

Highlights:

• Ultra-Quiet - Independent testing proves the 7127 is 3-5 dB's quieter (@ 50% load) than the Honda EU3000i (also @ 50% load)
    • POWERRUSH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - Delivers over 50% more starting capacity allowing you to do more with less* (*Increases electrical current upon demand; above rated output when starting electric motors.)
    • IDEAL FOR WORK OR PLAY - Durable steel enclosure, clean inverter power and easy portability make this the ideal generator for jobsites or recreational activities
    • ELECTRIC START* WITH POWERDIAL Start/Run/Stop - Three operation settings integrated into one simple-to-use dial (*Battery Included)
    • DIGITAL SMART LCD - Digital Wattage Meter, Run Time Remaining Display, Generator Status, Hour Meter and Fuel Level
    • 30A TWIST LOCK OUTLET - Harness the full power of the generator
    • USB PORTS - Charge mobile devices including smartphones and tablets
    • Economy Mode - Reduces noise and fuel consumption

The iQ3500 portable inverter generator lets you bring power wherever you go — from tailgating parties to camping trips, the jobsite and beyond. The durable, yet lightweight design is specifically engineered for easy portability. The intuitive PowerDial integrates the start, run and stop functions into one simple-to-use dial, along with Electric Start (battery included) capability, all conveniently located for quicker startup. Select from two engine speeds, depending on your need, to significantly reduce noise and fuel consumption, or to maximize power response. Inverter generators utilize a different type of alternator than standard generators to generate AC power. The end result is a portable generator with reduced weight and size and power that is ultra-clean and capable of safely powering sensitive electronics and tools.

erac 7127 3500W Ultra-Quiet Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-30-2020 at 05:34 AM.

10. Member
    Depends on what you want to spend and how much you want to run. During our power shutoffs my 2400 handles everything I need to run and only burns about 1 gal in 8 hrs

11. Member
    .[I've got two portables one from Lowe's 8500 start up for the house and just picked up a smaller Honda 6500 for the well pump. No natural gas in the hood and sure can't afford Propane for the Generac. Have a Buddy that has a propane Genrac and when Micheal blew thru here cost him close to $3k in propane.QUOTE=rds_nc;11459004][/QUOTE]

Diesel is the best option in this circumstance.
    Last edited by ericm; 10-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

12. Member
    I have had this generator for 3 years now and it serves my needs. Just used it yesterday for 16 hours, it ran refrigerator, chest freezer, TV, lamps, powerful fan and other small items (computers, phone chargers, etc.) I also use it for the Keurig but prefer solo - that thing is a power hog. Harbor Freight has it for $425 through November 1st. (15% off code)

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-62523.html

13. Member
    All you talking about PITA to fill up gas in the dark. Fill up before bed. I always shut mine off at 11pm Start back up in the am. Who wants to hear a generator running all night.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

14. Member
    Consider Onan, owned by Cummins. Living in the west, we have days without power due to PG&E "safety shut offs". Also losing power for days due to snow is common. Had an older Generac, would not run a lot of electronics due to frequency issues. Installed a propane 17KW Onan, all electronics are happy and powers the whole house including the air.

my parent have a Generac 22k and the warehouse has a Generac 26k that rans off NG, they was installed after the 08 or 09 ice storm here.. we have 2 8500 watts gas power ones up stairs waiting to be used.. they was brought during the ice storm in 08 or 09...

16. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I used to work in the generator industry. Something you should NEVER DO is buy a smaller generator and plug it into a receptacle in your house. The reason being is that the power will also go out of your house and up the power line.
    If a lineman is working on that section of line thinking its dead you have just made it live and put him in danger of electrocution.
    That's the reason for a transfer switch.. To keep the Generator power with in your house and no where else.
    Last edited by bobh4656; 10-30-2020 at 04:17 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    I used to work in the generator industry. Something you should NEVER DO is buy a smaller generator and plug it into a receptacle in your house. The reason being is that the power will also go out of your house and up the power line.
    If a lineman is working on that section of line thinking its dead you have just made it live and put him in danger of electrocution.
    That's the reason for a transfer switch.. To keep the Generator power with in your house and no where else.
    All you have to do is flip the main and your good. Not that I recommend plugging one into a wall outlet either. For portables it's pretty easy to put a 30amp on each side of your panel, run those to a 30 amp plug under your breaker box or outside wherever you want. Then all you have to do when the power goes out is flip the main so nothing back feeds, plug the generator to the plug and start it and flip the 2 breakers on inside the panel.

18. Member
    I made a #6 pigtail and plug mine in the dryer outlet, so it's like what's coming in the main. BUT YOU DO HAVE TO REMEMBER TO CUT THE MAIN When they come out they always call and ask why my lights are on and no one else's are. I have tell the main is off before they start. Been that way for years.....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    One with a large gas tank. Pita to keep filling and a bit dangerous filling a hot motor in the middle of the night
    ...and that seems to be when they run out....but I turn mine off after the late news and restart in the AM...jus sayin

20. Member
    I got en estimate last year on a NG Generac whole house unit. I believe it was $11,000 installed for what they said I needed. We’ve never had a long outage before this week.....40 hours. We decided it was not worth the cost.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast