Thread: Cowling repaint

Cowling repaint

I have some dings and scratches in my cowling and now a giant spot missing paint on one side. I was in the process of removing the decals to replace them and well a large amount of paint came off on one side. What would be a rough estimate to have it repainted? It’s an 05 Mercury xr6.

2. Member
    Ball park range of $200 to $300

3. Member
    That’s kinda what I figured. Upon further investigation the paint only came off exactly where the decal was. So I am hoping the new decals are an exact match in terms of size of the originals and will cover the missing paint.

Depending on the condition, I charge around 300 at my shop. Careful when you reapply your decals over problem paint you could get print through. I’d just get it painted and a set of new decals.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Depending on the condition, I charge around 300 at my shop. Careful when you reapply your decals over problem paint you could get print through. I’d just get it painted and a set of new decals.
    Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest looking for a boat specific shop or any auto body shop will do? I looked your shop up if I wasn’t over 5 hours away I would just bring it to you and call it a day.

Thanks for thinking bout my business. I do get boats from as far away as Ohio but in most cases it is full boat restorations. I’d get a reputable body shop...and a little cash and you should be good. You may get a good ol boy to do it even less.
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    I have a buddy who is a good body/paint guy. He did my cowling for $200. I replaced decals with ones made by Iguana Graphics who is a BBC sponsor. Those were about $75.00. Looks really good!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Thanks for thinking bout my business. I do get boats from as far away as Ohio but in most cases it is full boat restorations. I’d get a reputable body shop...and a little cash and you should be good. You may get a good ol boy to do it even less.
    Thanks. I’m looking around. I could probably do it myself as we have a spray gun from way back when we repainted a car door. However my plate is piling up, about to diy the deck padding, carpet, and replacing seat skins.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    I have a buddy who is a good body/paint guy. He did my cowling for $200. I replaced decals with ones made by Iguana Graphics who is a BBC sponsor. Those were about $75.00. Looks really good!
    I need a friend like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
    I need a friend like that.
    Me too. Would take my boat to Ted also if it wasn't so far.

XR4 1.jpgXR4.jpgXR4 2.jpg

Did it myself but my buddy owns a body shop so that helps a lot. Became a bigger project than first thought but that happens to me all the time and I'm use to it. Pretty much stripped it all down, sand, primer, sand, sealer, paint, clear coat, added decals from Iguana. It was a nice winter project.

12. Member
    Nice job on the cowl. Did you do a base coat then clear coat?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    XR4 1.jpgXR4.jpgXR4 2.jpg

Did it myself but my buddy owns a body shop so that helps a lot. Became a bigger project than first thought but that happens to me all the time and I'm use to it. Pretty much stripped it all down, sand, primer, sand, sealer, paint, clear coat, added decals from Iguana. It was a nice winter project.
    Wow that looks really awesome.

Thanks.... Yes, base and clear.

Wow that does look great !!
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    Good job especially being a base with clear coat. How many base a did you may go of ckear? With those results did you do it in a paint booth? Temps and humididty?

Yes. I used a spray booth, two coats of base and two coats of clear. Hardest part of the job was stripping it all down, from decals to the paint because I have the old two piece hood with a lot of grooves, corners and lines that had to be done by hand. I wish I had the newer style one piece hood as that could be pretty much stripped with a DA sander.

XR4 5.jpg

Here's a close up, right after the decals were put on. Decals from Daryl make my job look better.....

Update: We're having a windy day up here today and an hour or so ago I got a phone call that my tent/cheap carport that I have over the boat was getting blown around. Ran home and sure enough, back leg broke and was rubbing against the port side engine cover. So, now she has scratch marks all over and will have to add that to do winter list....

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    XR4 5.jpg

Here's a close up, right after the decals were put on. Decals from Daryl make my job look better.....
    Outstanding job !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents