Thread: Rats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rats

Recently ran across a couple rats on the property, so I'm sure there are more. Winter is coming and they aren't welcome inside. Any non poison tips for getting rid of them. (Don't want the dog getting into it)... I have the traps set and the mint spray out.

2. Member
    The smallest size Hav-a-heart trap will get them if they are rats,not mice. After that,I suggest lead poisoning.

3. Banned

4. Member
    How good of a shot are you?
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

5. Member
    LOL if they hold still I think I can get them. Nasty critters. Hoping the rat sized clamp traps take enough of them out the rest get the message.

6. Member
    Depending on the dogs they are the best rat catchers. Set regular rat traps. Eliminate any food and water source. Do not store wood piles near your home. Try to seal all entrances to buildings.

Use baitboxes that dogs can not get into.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Use baitboxes that dogs can not get into.
    Upside down milk crate over the trap works pretty well. You might have to weight it down though if dog is persistent

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    The smallest size Hav-a-heart trap will get them if they are rats,not mice. After that,I suggest lead poisoning.
    The Have a Heart has worked the best for us. Leave them open with a little bait inside for them to get use to it before setting it

9. Member
    I shoot them with a 410 while bush hogging. It's a riot and helps reduce the population. They come out like a jumped deer. Gets interesting on the last pass or two.

Been dealing with some for a month now. Garage door is broke and cocked letting them in the garage. Waiting on a replacement cable, apparently made of unobtainium. Standard tomcat traps and sticky pads have been doing work. Also have a tamper proof poison box and they havent eaten any. Peanut butter in the tomcats nails em.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. #FRB
    I know you don't wanna get the dog involved but if a dog wants to catch a critter they're gonna catch a critter one way or another. My Lab/Weiner/Pit Bull/whatever else mix prowls around the house to try to get critters before they get in the house. About a month ago my cousin's old and fat Australian mix was spending the night and him and my dog went crazy. The big old fat lovable dog opens the door under the sink where the trash can is and turns it over as he sticks his gigantic melon in to pull out a possum. He drops the possum on the living room floor and it plays umm...POSSUM. Both dogs nose it as it shits on the carpet and jumps up and Willy the big Australian carries it outside and kills it. Then he decides to roll around on it and makes the house smell like dead possum until I decide it's time to put his big butt in the bath tub. Totally worth it because the dogs do a lot of dirty work around here when it comes to pest control.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I know you said “no poison”. Other than trying to catch those buggers in action and getting them with lead I offer this, if it comes to bait - I’ve used this product called JUST ONE BITE. They love that stuff! It has taken care of the rats at our hunting lease and at my house and storage. Those suckers started eating the sheathing on my electrical cables on my bass boat. That’s a no, no!! And in days. Not weeks no more!!
    I also added large rat bait houses so my dogs didn’t get the bait.

https://smile.amazon.com/Just-One-Bi...3937135&sr=8-2

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

good luck!!

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

13. Member
    Get a cat. I have zero mice or rat problems.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

Great visual. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I know you don't wanna get the dog involved but if a dog wants to catch a critter they're gonna catch a critter one way or another. My Lab/Weiner/Pit Bull/whatever else mix prowls around the house to try to get critters before they get in the house. About a month ago my cousin's old and fat Australian mix was spending the night and him and my dog went crazy. The big old fat lovable dog opens the door under the sink where the trash can is and turns it over as he sticks his gigantic melon in to pull out a possum. He drops the possum on the living room floor and it plays umm...POSSUM. Both dogs nose it as it shits on the carpet and jumps up and Willy the big Australian carries it outside and kills it. Then he decides to roll around on it and makes the house smell like dead possum until I decide it's time to put his big butt in the bath tub. Totally worth it because the dogs do a lot of dirty work around here when it comes to pest control.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

15. Member
    I would rather have the rat than a cat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    You might want to patch the holes that are big enough to let a possum into the house, oh it's in Arkansas, never mind.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw62 View Post
    I would rather have the rat than a cat.
    Is that a joke?

18. Member
    5 gallon pail with a teeter totter on the top. Use water in the pail. There are videos on youtube. The see saw contraption Is sold on eBay or Amazon.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    You might want to patch the holes that are big enough to let a possum into the house, oh it's in Arkansas, never mind.
    In Arkansas, a possum-sized hole in the wall leading varmints right into the kitchen is called a GrubHub.

20. Member
    If you use the sticky rat trap paper be sure and staple it to a 2x6 or larger so the rat does not drag the paper away and make a mess getting it stuck to everything around it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast