Surging idle and soft bulb

Hey Gents,
    2014 175 HP Opti
    I noticed lately that when I put my motor in neutral, the idle goes up maybe 500 rpm's for a few seconds, before settling down.
    Also no matter how much I pump my bulb, it doesn't get hard.
    Motor just started to do this. Runs fine, but does not start as quick as it did.
    Getting pretty cold here (10 degrees C)
    Are the 2 related?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Rod
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have a hotfoot, or is the throttle on the control handle?

If you rotate the primer bulb so that the arrow points SKYWARD, will it get firm?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have just the throttle at the shifter. No hot foot.
    When I rotate the bulb straight up it becomes hard! Takes maybe 1/2 dozen pumps but it gets hard (insert joke here)
    It was new this year.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bulbs work best when pointed skyward (only important when pumping it... once firm it can lay in any orientation). This is normal operation.

Check your throttle linkage (inside the cowling) to make sure it is returning fully against the idle stop screw. Proper adjustment is a consistent and firm return, but not preloaded (ie: Put a piece of notebook paper between stop screw and block, return throttle, and make sure you can pull paper out without it tearing). Paper should also remain there on it's own (not fall out).

If cable requires adjustment- use the barrel-adjuster that is currently locked into it's slot.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Bulbs work best when pointed skyward (only important when pumping it... once firm it can lay in any orientation). This is normal operation.

Check your throttle linkage (inside the cowling) to make sure it is returning fully against the idle stop screw. Proper adjustment is a consistent and firm return, but not preloaded (ie: Put a piece of notebook paper between stop screw and block, return throttle, and make sure you can pull paper out without it tearing). Paper should also remain there on it's own (not fall out).

If cable requires adjustment- use the barrel-adjuster that is currently locked into it's slot.
    Thanks as usual Don.

The bulb does pump fine when pointed up. Funny how it worked during the warmer weather on it's side.

Pictures of linkage attached at full throttle. Look like I can get a little more out of it as the block has maybe 1/8" to go.

My problem is an occasional surging for a couple of seconds. It even did it in gear moving slowly. Not sure if adjusting linkage would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd get the linkage set correctly, and if the surging continues, monitor air/fuel pressures under those conditions. If they are STEADY, monitor TPS and perhaps MAP (easiest to do with the Computer Diagnostic System).