Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Looking For Advice - First Time Buyer

Looking to purchase first boat. I am a recreational fisherman and not a tournament guy. Have really narrowed it down to Trition (perhaps maybe Stratos) as I like the layout and overall design of the boat. I'm looking to buy used in the 15K range which puts me in the early 2000's models. The TR20, TR21 and TR22 appear to be in my price range. I don't want anything less than 20 foot.

Any of you Trition owners want to school me on any particular years or models to stay away from? Why you may prefer one year or hull over the other? What year did the stringers become all composite? Transom issues on any them? These are 20 year old boats and I'm not looking for showroom quality but I'd like a reliable, structurally sound boat to last me a while. Any preference on motors? I see them having all 3 major brands in Mercury, Evinrudes and Yamahas. Any of those motors from those years seem to be better than the rest?

Sorry for all the questions but figured BBC if anywhere would have the best information from a wide range of Triton owners. Any other advice is welcome!

Thanks for any and all information!

2. Member
    Really u can’t go wrong with any of em. Triton has never used wood on the transom or anywhere in the boat for that matter. If past owners took decent care of em I don’t think you’ll find a problem with any of the boats in those years. It’s the motor you’ll want to really have checked over.

3. Member
    Those old hulls are all good quality. The ones that have been in rough water will have gellcost and stress cracks but usually the transoms will be fine. At that age and price range the engine would be the most important factor in my buying decision.

4. Banned
    id be pretty concerned about the fuel system, everything from the tank to the lines to the engine. That was pre ethanol or just getting started ethanol days. Lots of resin and fuel line issues in boats really messing things up. Maybe a question to ask, see if its original owner and what kinda fuel they run in it or if they have replaced lines. Dont know about fuel tanks on these boats, but I know some boats had fuel tank issues as well.

5. Member
    There is a really nice 99 tr20 in the for sale section i saw last week for about 15k. Could negotiate that a bit.

6. Member
    I would seriously try to get the boat raised a hair off the trailer and check for hull blisters. Early 2000s tritons tend to have them bad.
    Brad Krone

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    I would seriously try to get the boat raised a hair off the trailer and check for hull blisters. Early 2000s tritons tend to have them bad.
    Anyone else notice or have heard of this?

8. Member
    Yes

9. Member
    look for cracks in gelcoat, scrapes on the bottom of the boat where there is raw fiberglass (I bought a pro boat and they are ROUGH on them but it was a good learning experience), blistering as mentioned above, and of course the motor, maintenance records and have it check via a good mechanic. You are looking for that guy who really takes care of his equipment, you know them when you meet them and it will show in the boat.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    I didn’t think the blistering became a problem till around ‘06.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    Anyone else notice or have heard of this?
    My 02 Tr19 has hull blisters bad since the day I bought it 8 or 9 years ago and haven't messed with getting it fixed. Would it stop me from buying another Triton? No.The boat has not given me any problems. Has a bulletproof 200 yamaha ox66.

You would be happy with a TR-20 or 21. Make sure you have them take you on the lake to run it. I think pre 2002 were rated for lower HP? Someone else will know more on that.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    I didn’t think the blistering became a problem till around ‘06.
    My 2004 TR196 had blisters bad. My buddies 2005 had them, he had them repaired and it was extremely costly.
    Brad Krone

13. Member
    Not to change the subject, but what causes these hull blisters? I too am in the market for a Triton.

14. Member
    My 2002 has 0 blisters
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

The 99 TR 20 user jdwo2212 mentioned was my first Triton , I put that 200 Optimax in it new !! I’m on my 3rd Triton even after owning a Skeeter and a Bullet, mine now is a 2019 21 TRX Elite nicest loaded so far love it ! Feel free reach out if any questions on that 99 fir sale or Triton in general !

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    My 2002 has 0 blisters
    That's what I thought until I got under it in the lake. TONS of them.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

17. Member
    My advice is pay extra attention to the engine. No matter what get a lake test and bite the bullet and pay a mechanic to do a compression/leakdown test and check everything else out. One repair on the motor can turn a great deal into a bad deal. Also look hard at the trailer because those box frame trailers rust out and it's not cheap to get them fixed. As long as you like the layout and check the hull out good by crawling under etc. you should be ok there. I bought my first boat a few years ago, a 2005 Triton TR-186 with a Mercury XR6 150 and I love it. it's in GREAT shape and I stole that boat for $5,000. Guy I got it from bought it but found he couldn't back up a trailer so his wife complained so much they got into arguments about it so he sold it to me! I looked at a many, many boats waiting to get the best deal and my patience payed off. Shop around and don't get in a big hurry and a great deal will come your way. I have spent some money on it to get it up to snuff on things like replacing all the fuel lines, batteries etc. but I fish this boat every weekend when I'm off work and am happy with my Triton...

Pic of mine the day I bought it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrh_67; 11-15-2020 at 05:36 AM.

I noticed you said nothing shorter than 20 '. I have a 2014 19XS with a 225hp ProXS. The boat is actually 19'9" and is a great boat and handles real well. I have reached speeds of 73mph on GPS with 2 large men, all our tackle and 3/4 tank of gas.....Just sayin...
    The power of positive thoughts

JRH 67......Your boat looks great and the tandem trailer is a plus
    The power of positive thoughts

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm still on the lookout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast