At what temps do you decide to winterize?

We use our trailer all year. Some times we might not make it to the lake for 3-4 weeks. Seems like every year there will be a day that gets in the low 30's and i get worried. Everyone says it has to get colder then that to worry. ( they don't have to fix it if it breaks ).

So at what temp do you worry? 30, 25
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    i think it all depends on if it is a 4 season trailer or not and if its plugged in. but i would be worried if gets down to freezing cause nothing worse than a broken water line.

3. Banned
    We use ours all year long too and do not winterize. Might get down to the high 20's a few times each winter, but mostly in the 30's.

4. Banned
    I dont live far from you, annd had a full living qtrs horse trailer, Used it year round, in fact used it in winter more than summer.
    I kept it plugged in with an electric heater with a 40 degree thermostat plug, and opened cabinet and water tank door.. Never had an issue. If you know its gonna be sitting for over a month though Id probably do the RV antifreeze thing in the plumbing.
    Also its at my house so I have one of those outdoor temp reading clocks.. Sensor is in trailer, clock with readout is on my desk, so if soemthing goes wrong I can fix it.

5. Member
    We dont winterize here and it gets in the 20s in Jan never had an issue

6. Banned
    Mine only requires about 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze to winterize. I did mine this past Friday. If I were you, and wasn't going to use the camper in a little bit, I would just go ahead to do it. In my opinion, its definitely worth keeping the pipes intact.

7. Member
    I don't antifreeze mine till last use. What I do do though is if I not using for a week or two I will low point drain it. Drain the water heater, Put the water heater in bypass attach and my compressor to the city water connection via a blowout plug and open each faucet. Mainly i go after the toilet valve, and shower.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    I don't antifreeze mine till last use. What I do do though is if I not using for a week or two I will low point drain it. Drain the water heater, Put the water heater in bypass attach and my compressor to the city water connection via a blowout plug and open each faucet. Mainly i go after the toilet valve, and shower.
    This is exactly the same process I use. But I only put anti freeze in the black, grey tanks and the drain traps.

Our winters are usually mild, not getting many nights in a row when it goes below freezing. I usually just open the low point drains and put antifreeze in the drains. If it looks like a really cold period, I will use compressed air and blow the system
    "I see dead people"

10. Member
    I use mine all year round when I leave for a week I put antifreeze in it only takes a few minutes when I drain the anti I put it back in gallon jug to use again

11. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have been in Austin TX this week. Lots of people didn't winterize their campers here, gonna be some sad campers this spring.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

12. Member
    I'm glad mine is full of pink stuff. I winterized after a trip in early December. Been down to -8 last two nights.

13. Member
    What happens when you lose ELECTRICITY...For a few days...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
    What happens when you lose ELECTRICITY...For a few days...
    Nothing if its put away correctly

15. Member
    I winterized this last weekend as there were freeze warnings. Mine goes to storage for the winter, and it gets plenty cold in Northern Illinois. I do the typical drain everything, blow down the lines as best as possible with the compressor and use 2 gallons of pink anti freeze. 1 and a half in the tank and through all faucets then other half in the p traps and holding tanks. Its worked so far.

16. Member
    I did mine when I left yesterday but I don’t antifreeze it. I empty water heater and blow out all water lines with a compressor. I’ll do that every time I go until spring.