Banned

Mega 360 Confusion...

Hi all,

Is the mega 360 different from the ultrex to the fortrex ? Or is just the mounting that is different? I have a fortrex now thats maybe 2 years old and really don't have a reason to get the ultrex but when I need to get a new trolling motor it will be the ultrex.

2. Member
    Yes the mount is different for them. The fortrex mount goes around the upper shaft that is stationary, the ultrex mount goes on the steering box since the entire shaft spins

The mount is different and the shaft lengths are also different due to attachment points.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Banned
    Yikes, thats what I was afraid of. So if you get one or the other you are locked into that trolling motor?

Quote Originally Posted by ReefOctopus View Post
    Yikes, thats what I was afraid of. So if you get one or the other you are locked into that trolling motor?
    There is an Ultrex mount to change from the Fortrex type, BUT the shaft may be too short to use it. It includes a longer shaft, but you cannot change it since the MEGA 360 plug won't fit through it, can with a 360.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...0-hardware-kit
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Banned
    Looks like I going to have to get the ultrex sooner than I thought

Friend of mine had a fortex with 360. Sold his rig and kept 360. New rig had Ultrex. He did shout out, Fortrex 360 shaft was too short. Ultrex was shorter shaft model also. Bought 3 coupling nuts and longer hex head bolts and shimmed Ultrex mount down about 1 1/4" below Ultrex TM head. Was a hack, didn't look bad and works great.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Banned
    Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Friend of mine had a fortex with 360. Sold his rig and kept 360. New rig had Ultrex. He did shout out, Fortrex 360 shaft was too short. Ultrex was shorter shaft model also. Bought 3 coupling nuts and longer hex head bolts and shimmed Ultrex mount down about 1 1/4" below Ultrex TM head. Was a hack, didn't look bad and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefOctopus View Post
    Got any pics?
    No pics, he sold that boat also. It's been about 1 1/2 years. He had an Ultrex mounting bracket and 360 from Fortrex. Tried to mount it and was short, gave me a shout out. Mounted the plate to the Ultrex. I think the fasteners that attach the casting for the 360 shaft were 1/4-20 bolts. Bought 5/16 coupling nuts and longer 1/4 20 bolts and shimmed the casting down about 1 1/4 inches. Was enough to get the 360 about 2 inches above TM prop. I suppose you could stack a couple coupling nuts and shim it down 2 1/2 inches, it was solid. Better than buying another 360. If you are trying to do this and need a picture, I can get some coupling nuts and longer bolts for mine and send you a pic. Any hardware store should have coupling nuts.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    No pics, he sold that boat also. It's been about 1 1/2 years. He had an Ultrex mounting bracket and 360 from Fortrex. Tried to mount it and was short, gave me a shout out. Mounted the plate to the Ultrex. I think the fasteners that attach the casting for the 360 shaft were 1/4-20 bolts. Bought 5/16 coupling nuts and longer 1/4 20 bolts and shimmed the casting down about 1 1/4 inches. Was enough to get the 360 about 2 inches above TM prop. I suppose you could stack a couple coupling nuts and shim it down 2 1/2 inches, it was solid. Better than buying another 360. If you are trying to do this and need a picture, I can get some coupling nuts and longer bolts for mine and send you a pic. Any hardware store should have coupling nuts.
    No worries, I do appreciate the offer though!