Garmin Express - Software Update Confusion

I took my SD card out of my Garmin Echomap 73CV. Using the card in Garmin Express it mentioned there was a software upgrade, but in doing so it would reformat the disc. I'm confused...would the software upgrade wipe out the Echomaps I created? I spent a lot of hours mapping lakes and can't lose that info. What info is kept on the SD card compared to inside the Garmin unit?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Use a different card for the update.

On a separate note, place those Quick Draw files on your PC for safe keeping.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    So what is actually updating...Garmin Express? Why would it need a card? What would I use the card for after the update? Thanks.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If Garmin Express (the program itself) needs updating it will update straight from the web.....If you only have 1 card that's for the unit don't and it wants to reformat it, dont use Garmin Express. Just download the file direct from garmin website and use the existing card.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartableman7 View Post
    I spent a lot of hours mapping lakes and can't lose that info.
    Tell us that you followed Jeremy's advice and now have a backup of your data. On important stuff I'll also have an external backup. SD cards are not expensive. You're going to need more than one. Also, sometimes they die. When one dies I've never been able to recover the data from it. I'd use one just to do software updates and another one for data backups.

Another way to do a backup is to join the quickdraw community and upload your data to Garmin.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

WOW, this Garmin Express & Active Captain stuff is over this old man's head. I download software updates from the Garmin website to a file on my computer & then save the file to a Western Digital external drive...This is a simple thing for me & I have never had a problem with any downloads.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Hate to say it but some people make it a lot harder than what it is.