Question Motorguide "Wireless" trolling motor questions

Guys,
    I just bought a motor that looks identical to this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorguide-...-/323798394475

It was on CList for $50. A friend that lived nearby went and got it for me. He says it was an old guy who took it off his boat years ago, and has no idea of where the remote for it is, but he said it worked great when he took it off, and it's been in his garage since. My friend says it looks old, but in good condition.

I need a remote for it. I see different remotes for Motorguide, but have no idea which one would work for this one.

Does anyone know which FOB remote will work for this one? I'd like to put this on my little boat, if it works.
    Thanks.

2. Banned
    Model number?

3. Member
    I don't actually know yet. My buddy can't find anything on it except for "Wireless", so it's probably an early model.
    I was hoping someone here had had this model in the past and would recognize it.

I was going to drive down and pick it up Friday, (3 hour drive each way) but the storm is coming through, so it will have to wait until next week.

Once I get it in hand, I'll post the model number, if I can find it. Thanks.

4. Member
    That's the Motorguide saltwater series in the picture.I had the black freshwater version.Was model W55,and the remote is a red one with black buttons.Foot petal is a smaller half moon shape.
    So search "MotorGuide W55 wireless".Was a decent motor,but now discontinued?

5. Member
    Serial number and model number is on a tag stuck to the base just behind the steer motor. If it is not there then it is gone.
    Se below for remote hand and foot:

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/mot8m40...xoCKPMQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Motor...a-574196779092

6. Member
    Thanks for the links, Bradrodfish. Good thing I didn't buy the one I had guessed. It was a small black one.

I'll post once I get the unit in hand. Thanks again.

7. Member
    I just picked the unit up from my friend, and I'm pretty happy with what I see.

I thought it was a 12Vx 55lb thrust, but it turns out to be 24V x 75lb thrust, and it looks like a 72" shaft.
    It says W75, but I don't see any model numbers. I just discovered that it has it's own quick release mount. Nice.

Here are some pictures:
    20201030_233252.jpg20201030_233506.jpg 20201030_233335.jpg 20201030_234117.jpg

Is anyone familiar with this unit? I am not familiar with MG wireless. Are the pretty reliable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaark1660 View Post
    That's the Motorguide saltwater series in the picture.I had the black freshwater version.Was model W55,and the remote is a red one with black buttons.Foot petal is a smaller half moon shape.
    So search "MotorGuide W55 wireless".Was a decent motor,but now discontinued?
    Thanks for the info. If you remember, how was yours as far as battery consumption? Does it have slow start and variable speed like the MK Powerdrives?

Thanks again.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    Thanks for the info. If you remember, how was yours as far as battery consumption? Does it have slow start and variable speed like the MK Powerdrives?

Thanks again.
    I had the 12v 55.Actually was better on power consumption than the Powerdrive 55.I can't remember if it did have the soft start,I never engaged it at high speeds.And I think it was variable speeds.

10. Member
    Thanks, that is good info.
    I have a powerdrive 55 on my tin boat, and it seems very good on battery life. So if this is the same or better, I'll be very happy.

11. Member
    I just got my new remote (Thanks Bradrodfish) and I pushed the 2 butttons to program it to the motor.
    It beeped, turned left, right, on, off - it works! I'm thrilled. Probably the best $50 I've ever spent on Craigslist!

I don't think it has soft-start, but it has a TON of speeds. Something like 15 or 20, compared with the 10 on my PD. That might be helpful to hold perfectly in a current.

One big question... Is there an autopilot equivalent that I can install???

My MK did not come with autopilot, but I bought the compass module on Ebay and installed it. I use AP almost constantly to keep a heading or to hold in front of a downed tree or whatever. AP is on probably 90% of the time.

If not, I'll survive, but would be good to know. Thanks all.
    Last edited by thilltony; 11-01-2020 at 05:32 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    Thanks, that is good info.
    I have a powerdrive 55 on my tin boat, and it seems very good on battery life. So if this is the same or better, I'll be very happy.
    The MG will be better than the MK.That was the case with Terrova vs Xi5.Xi5 would run longer,it drew less amps at full power.

The MG W series was fairly stripped,to get what you want will be the Xi3/Xi5 series.That's the route I went with.Xi5 comes with Pinpoint,Xi3 is an add-on.

I don't believe you can upgrade the W series to Pinpoint?

13. Member
    Here is a question I've always wondered...
    Why do most boats have the TM on the port side?
    Is is just tradition, or is there a logical reason? Does that side tend to ride high do to clockwise prop rotation, or something similar?

14. Member
    Never mind, I just googled it. Most bass boats have the helm on the starboard, so port side for the TM for visibility.

This is on a center console, and I tend to launch and retrieve the boat with the dock on the drivers side (port) so I don't have to walk around the boat, so I thought I'd mount the TM on the starboard. But now I'm starting to wonder... I don't know if I want it to look out of place.