Bolts falling out

Have had issues with bolts falling out of the rear of one of my trailer bunks this year, has happened 3 times, would have happened more but I check them more now.

It's just annoying to back the trailer in and go to load the boat and find the rear of one of my bunk boards floating off the trailer

I tried to put 4200 in the holes but that didn't help.

Can I reverse the bracket and just put bolts into new holes? Or is there a recommendation of what to put into the holes to get the bolts to stay put and stop working themselves out?
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. Member
    Have you made sure the bunks are not rotted?

Several options.. depending on the trailer. easiest is move the boards forward or back just far enough to drill into fresh wood. another is try a size bigger lag screw.
    Peel the carpet back and use counter sunk carriage bolts in curren5t holes.. The best in my opinion is start over with new boards and counter sink carriage blots before placing new carpet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin365 View Post
    Have you made sure the bunks are not rotted?
    Boards are definately not rotted, are pressure treated and only about 3 yrs old

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Several options.. depending on the trailer. easiest is move the boards forward or back just far enough to drill into fresh wood. another is try a size bigger lag screw.
    Peel the carpet back and use counter sunk carriage bolts in curren5t holes.. The best in my opinion is start over with new boards and counter sink carriage blots before placing new carpet.
    I was trying to avoid having to move the bunks, since I moved the boat forward to balance the trailer I have plenty of board sticking out the back to move forward with the boards. It's just not easy since there isn't enough room to get a impact driver in there to drive the lag screws.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    I was trying to avoid having to move the bunks, since I moved the boat forward to balance the trailer I have plenty of board sticking out the back to move forward with the boards. It's just not easy since there isn't enough room to get a impact driver in there to drive the lag screws.
    Would not use the impact on lag bolts. Too easy to over tighten which turns the bolt into a drill and strips out the wood.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Try a threaded insert in the existing hole. You will need a different bolt to match the threads of the insert.
    Tight lines!

8. Member
    Through bolt is optimal, if using lags always fill the hole with gorilla glue when installing the lags.

9. Member
    I used 2-ton epoxy on one trailer.Gorilla glue would also work.If installing in current holes,just smear some on threads and send it.If you relocate holes,drill a pilot just smaller than pitch diameter of lag bolt,and use the mentioned glue on bolts.Never had one walk out since.

10. Member
    Thanks guys, I will give gorilla glue a try

11. Member
    Since you said bolts, then nuts or nut plates are needed. If bolts, use nylon locking nuts or Loctite. If the "bolts" are tapered they are screws. Even if they are "lag bolts".

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...hrome&ie=UTF-8

A bolt is a non-tapered fastener that uses a washer and nut to hold objects together. A screw is a tapered fastener that mates with an existing thread or creates its own thread in a material as it turns.Oct 28, 2018

C'mon "snowflake stacker" give the guy a little credit.

13. Member
    OK, wrong term. Damn things are Lag Screws.

If they were bolted through I would have long ago put fender washers and nylon lock nuts on them. I really wish they were but trailer didn't come that way, neither did my original Champion trailer and I never in 12 years had a single screw fall out of the bottom of those bunks

14. Member
    Hey Charles, I wasn't trying to bust your chops. Actually I call them lag bolts too. Next time you're down at Belle Grove catch a few for me. There are very few but some good ones in the River there too.

15. Member
    At 3 years old, with the way PT wood is these days... I'd not bet that they don't have rotted areas in them. Not saying they ARE, just that PT wood isn't what it once was.

Personally, I'd go stove head bolts from the top, countersunk, then blue thread locker on the nuts. Replaced mine last year after backing down the ramp and the right outer bunk decided to float away. Had to leave the boat at the dock (local lake, multi slip dock, store, pizza place etc) then come home and grab the boards I already had sitting in the basement (drying) and make the bunks. LITERALLY TOOK ALL DAY to make them, and about wore my ass out. (I have a very bad back.) I came home at 12:45 (25 minute drive home), and didn't get back down there till 10:20 that night. And that was with my son helping during the day, and wife after she got home from work!

Took much longer than I thought it would, at least to get it all done right. But at least I don't have to worry about lag bolts.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Carriage bolts work best with nylock nuts. Lag bolts work OK in good wood. If trailer tires are out of balance, nothing works good.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

17. Member
    Cut some wood splints and hammer them in the holes that will tightening the screws up

18. Member
    Tried Gorilla glue and the screws fell out on way down the highway again. Removed bunk, moved it, pilot holed the holes and put all new lag screws into the bunk to hold it. Still had 4 new screws in it when I got back home from tournament, one less thing to worry about now.

Just a thought here, are your tires/wheels balanced? Wondering if vibration could be accelerating the lag bolts becoming loose!