Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raising cash today

IMO its the best place to be on the short term, unless the FED rears its ugly head and starts talking about a quantitative easing version 25. Id rather sit back and protect assets for the time being.

2. Member
    I'm waiting on Honeywell and Cat to fall. Been looking to buy both for awhile.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I don't know, I think if you bought every time the market was down 3% in a day, you would be doing pretty well. Down 7% from recent highs= good day to buy.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    The fear that I have with doing this is when does a 3% correction turn into a 5-10-15-20% correction and so on? Catching falling knives I think is the term. The indexes are already trading below 50 day moving averages which to me means there's a big head wind for markets right now.

5. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by basssj View Post
    The fear that I have with doing this is when does a 3% correction turn into a 5-10-15-20% correction and so on? Catching falling knives I think is the term. The indexes are already trading below 50 day moving averages which to me means there's a big head wind for markets right now.
    Well, you'll have to take a chance on whether to catch that falling knife, cut your hand and bleed a little or let it hit your foot and bleed a lot. Either way, the bleeding will eventually stop and you'll regain your blood.

6. Member
    I have a list of stocks with prices most of which will require a 10-20% drop. If it drops that much I will buy if not I will put the list back in the drawer

You can always buy SDS a 2X short S&P fund. S&P drops 20% and you make 40%, then sell at the bottom and buy the S&P and ride it back up that 20%, to make 60% total. Easy Peasy.

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basssj View Post

Since you will never know when a 3% turns into a 20%, when do you buy? Are you a trader or investor? As an investor when I pull up a historical chart of the markets or good companies, the best times to buy are when the price drops below the 50 day and even better buys below the 100 day and 200 day. If I wait till it crosses back above a moving average, then I've already missed the best prices.
    Thanos was the hero

9. Member
    I moved some more money into cash about four (4) weeks ago. Thought there might be more issues around the election and also wanted to raise the percentage I had in cash and short term investments. Wife also stuck the yearly max in her Roth on Monday which would not have posted until yesterday or today.
    I also figure I am balanced and if the market goes down 30 to 50%, everyone including me will be in a world of hurt.
    dvl2700

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    You can always buy SDS a 2X short S&P fund. S&P drops 20% and you make 40%, then sell at the bottom and buy the S&P and ride it back up that 20%, to make 60% total. Easy Peasy.
    And tomorrow the news comes out that a vaccination has been discovered and all of a sudden your not 1 step behind the market, your 3 steps behind.

11. Member
    Just hold on a bit longer with Biden everything will be on a fire sale shortly
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    Just hold on a bit longer with Biden everything will be on a fire sale shortly
    The senate races will be key along with Covid cases. It is really problematic if we don't know the composition of the Senate before years end since there will be no certainty for tax planning before end of year.

13. idbefishing
    Senate race is super close and the tie breaker is the VP. Hmm..I wonder what side she gonna cast her vote for that would be a bad scenario and sell off flood gate opens

14. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Just remember that when the market first sold off because of covid, we sold off 30% in a month and recovered it a month later and made new highs shortly after. At that time we were expecting the zombie apocalypse. If we start to sell off now, we are on the verge of several vaccines and therapeutics, dips will be quick and shallow.

As far as the election goes, divided govt will prevent any major tax increases or any other major changes. Not worth worrying about. If the Senate goes and we do get tax increases and major changes, any dips are buying opportunities because we will get major gov't spending and stimulus.

IMHO any sell off will be short lived. Only the Fed can cause a major sustained sell off.
    Thanos was the hero

15. Member
    more money is lost in the name of "trying to protect" a portfolio than is lost in the markets itself. Not saying buy and hold forever. everyone should have a planned strategy and should execute that strategy based upon sound financial decisions. timing the market is not a strategy.

16. Member
    I think this is also based on what you are doing. My 401k and Roth are set and forget, I just check on them quarterly.

Now, my gambling account at Schwab is another story. I'm in and out of stuff all the time based on news, whim, gut feeling, water clarity, etc. I am all cash right now after getting out of big oil. Debating what to do next....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I think this is also based on what you are doing. My 401k and Roth are set and forget, I just check on them quarterly.

Now, my gambling account at Schwab is another story. I'm in and out of stuff all the time based on news, whim, gut feeling, water clarity, etc. I am all cash right now after getting out of big oil. Debating what to do next....
    Things are still pretty expensive. Ive been sitting on the fence for the most part just selling puts for income. I did by some BKH and INGR because they looked undervalued and had a mid 3% dividend yield but I won't get rich on those. Just beer money.

18. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post

if you have the cash to throw down on a bunch of tesla shares yesterday morning and sold by the afternoon. You would have made A LOT.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    if you have the cash to throw down on a bunch of tesla shares yesterday morning and sold by the afternoon. You would have made A LOT.
    Yes, but the biggest part of this is attention span....

I have a lot of other things going on and I don't live in front of my computer watching the market. It's why I don't do options or other high attention span things.....

It'll be interesting to see how the battery technology of big motors (Ford, GM, etc) eat into Tesla's market share. Tesla isn't a car company, it's a battery company and it is now being attacked in a way it's never seen before....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

20. Member
    Inflation is coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast