Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    i have an 97 intruder and run 91 oct because up here its the only gas without ethanol , not shure if i see a difference but i do not want any since i can't use it often . hope no damage done ?

2. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by veryspeedy View Post
    I Think this is why this topic is getts so much attention for me I would rather deal with carbon than rusted or clogged injectors or fuel system components.
    There are many good decarbonizing products out there .
    Water in the fuel does way more damage from the posible chance it is absorbed into the tank from sitting over winter or storage time periiods .
    It'd be foolish to deal with either. Especially when there are so many products to protect against any of this damage. Just not worth the risk. Looks like the 2+4 addresses fuel separation and carbon buildup. I learned my lesson on carbon buildup running a Ficht for 18yrs.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Let me be clear on my view , I use only alcohol free 91 with 2+4 .
    Any fuel with alcohol is going to have the chance of water witch= corrosion.
    Ethanol absorbs water that is a fact.
    I do not believe the 2+4 will do anything reguarding water intrusion but run it because
    Evinrude recomends it .
    In my manual the say 87 oct minimum. 89 preferably. Also up to 10 percent alcohol is ok.
    But what is un clear is how long it will be ok on 10 percent alcohol.
    Manufacturer's are in business to sell parts and motors not tell you how to make it last forever.
    CJ
    200 Evinrude G2 Ho On R93vs Ranger

4. Member
    I have a 115 E-tec, I run non-ethanol 90. My thinking may be flawed but, octane level drops over time if I remember correctly. I fish weekends and usually do not burn a lot of fuel maybe 25 gallons a month. So if I start with 90 octane in a months time I should still be at acceptable octane levels. If I'm fishing a week straight I run 87 octane.

5. Member
    I purchased a stratos boat last year with a 1996 Johnson Fast strike engine on it (model J115GLEDR). The previous owner told me to only run recreational fuel through it. I'd appreciate some thoughts, is running rec fuel really necessary? I don't have a manual for the engine so unsure what fuel is recommended for this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by JediBasser View Post

Also, someone on here said to NOT use Seafoam gas treatment. Is that not recommended any longer?
    Seafoam was never a recommended product by Evinrude. Check your owners manual for the factory recommended fuel additives. You motor was designed to operate on 87 octane gas, higher octane will not hurt the motor.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezm001 View Post
    I purchased a stratos boat last year with a 1996 Johnson Fast strike engine on it (model J115GLEDR). The previous owner told me to only run recreational fuel through it. I'd appreciate some thoughts, is running rec fuel really necessary? I don't have a manual for the engine so unsure what fuel is recommended for this engine.

87 octane with up to 10% is acceptable to run in your engine. It is listed in the service manual.

8. Member
    What is the main disadvantage or running standard 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanal through my engine compared to the rec fuel?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What is the main disadvantage or running standard 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanal through my engine compared to the rec fuel?

That's how the factory designed them to run. But you can run whatever you choose to. If that's what your man told you by all means run the REC fuel.

10. Member
    They will operate just fine on 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel, it's the fuel sitting in the boats tank for extended periods of time collecting water is the problem.

So what happens when you mix 91 octane (no ethanol) with 87 octane (10% ethanol) in equal parts?
    do just get 89 octane at 5% ethanol?
    united in the pursuit of bass.

12. Member
    Your logic makes sense. So i understand that 87 octane 10% ethanal is ok since the engine was designed to handle it; however, i've also heard it can cause issues to fuel lines and carburetors over the long term. Wouldn't it be better to put some type of ethanol treatment such as SeaFoam marine pro in the tank?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Your logic makes sense. So i understand that 87 octane 10% ethanal is ok since the engine was designed to handle it; however, i've also heard it can cause issues to fuel lines and carburetors over the long term. Wouldn't it be better to put some type of ethanol treatment such as SeaFoam marine pro in the tank?

Give this post a glance. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12