Waypoints not being saved

I have a Helix 5 G2 Chirp GPS that had been working fine. This past weekend when out on the water I push the mark button, it creates a new waypoint, displayed as a blue dot with WP##. Each waypoint has a new consecutive number. But once the unit is turned off and back on, the “new” waypoints are not visible. In the waypoint management dialog box, no “new” waypoints are shown, yet each time I mark a new waypoint, it is displayed on the chart screen and the number is being auto incremented from the last waypoint number from the previous session.

Any ideas?
    Bad memory?
    TIA

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJsquatch View Post
    I have a Helix 5 G2 Chirp GPS that had been working fine. This past weekend when out on the water I push the mark button, it creates a new waypoint, displayed as a blue dot with WP##. Each waypoint has a new consecutive number. But once the unit is turned off and back on, the “new” waypoints are not visible. In the waypoint management dialog box, no “new” waypoints are shown, yet each time I mark a new waypoint, it is displayed on the chart screen and the number is being auto incremented from the last waypoint number from the previous session.

Any ideas?
    Bad memory?
    TIA
    Make sure you're not in demo mode. I have the same issue.

3. Member
    Demo Mode is off

4. Member
    Make sure Screen Snapshot is On (Accessories setting).
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Make sure Screen Snapshot is On (Accessories setting).
    The menu item is Screen Snapshot Waypoint.
    I have several Helix units and none of them have that turned on and I get waypoints created and in the unit's memory with a WP prefix.
    With it ON you should get a waypoint in the unit's memory and an image of the display recorded in a Snapshot folder on a memory card with the waypoint having a S prefix and a camera icon.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Wayne, of course you're right...LOL Thanks for correcting my slow morning...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I have restored to the units default settings and formatted the Nav Directory multiple times but the unit continues to remember the last waypoint ID and auto increments to the next number.

I am running software version 2.11. There is an update available 2.32 from 8/2020. Should i update the software or do you think this could further complicate matters?

Quote Originally Posted by NJsquatch View Post
    Thanks guys. I have restored to the units default settings and formatted the Nav Directory multiple times but the unit continues to remember the last waypoint ID and auto increments to the next number.

I am running software version 2.11. There is an update available 2.32 from 8/2020. Should i update the software or do you think this could further complicate matters?
    Helix units will not go back to waypoint #1. No matter what you do, waypoints will be consecutive from the last one marked.

Keeping the unit software current is a good idea.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    thanks again for all your responses

in case anyone else has this issue i had to send it in for repair. the repair order says repair circuit board.

I am speculating that the internal memory chip was loose since i was also not able to update the firmware.