Thread: Spindle Sleeve

Spindle Sleeve

I need to help my nephew replace the spindle sleeves on his trailer. It is a 2003 Marine Master trailer. It uses grease and not oil so I understand we don't have to replace the O-ring under the sleeve but do we need to apply adhesive before installing the new sleeves. If we need to, which adhesive to we need to use? Thanks
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I use Permatex Red High Temp RTV for the SS wear ring, inner seal and the bearing protector.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Thanks Bob. I have done countless bearing jobs but have never done a sleeve replacement, so I have a couple of other questions. Do you just put a bunch of sealant on the spindle and install the sleeve or do you wait a little bit for the sealant to set up before installing the sleeve? Thanks again for the help.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I just put a small amount of sealant on the spindle and install the wear ring right away.

If the sleeve fit on the spindle fit is machined for an O ring, replace it.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

6. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    If the sleeve fit on the spindle fit is machined for an O ring, replace it.
    Yep, but use red High Temp RTV from auto parts store to seal the deal. Apply the RTV over around the new o ring and wipe excess off once wear ring is seated. Seat wear ring with old wheel bearing.

Frank

Overkill for installing a wear ring but I can get it on straight with one smack of the dead blow hammer.

8. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Overkill for installing a wear ring but I can get it on straight with one smack of the dead blow hammer.

Nice, I’m glad this doesn’t need to be done very often...

9. Member
    Not all spindles are manufactured with the o-ring groove. Red RTV is preferred in either case. If you do not have a groove, use it anyway to keep extra protection from the rear. You can also use the old inner bearing as a simple driver. It was made to fit the spindle.