Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watch yôur step

My buddy and I went Smallmouth fishing couple days ago. The bite was slow until just before dark then went nuts. Hating to quit but had a two hour drive home. The ramp was slick, pitch dark I step off bow on to trailer, missed judged ground by 10 to 12 " landed on my back cracked my head. Didn't break anything but this 70 year old was so sore I couldn't move for two days . Got home told my wife of 50 years what happened her response was did you break yôur glasses or phone. Man I love that woman. Lol

Glad you were not hurt bad. Falling is a bad deal.

Glad you're ok. The older we get the more it hurts.

4. Banned
    Amen there partner. Hope everything is ok. Not far from 70 myself and tripped/stumbled/fell 2 times the other day with the wife on board and she wants to rule out me going fishing by myself anymore?!?! That ain't gonna happen. Just got to be totally aware of where i put my feet when moving about. I am terrible about laying rods and stuff all over the deck and leaving myself no walking/moving about lanes.

5. Member
    Our wives know us well. I'm 71 and whenever I'm gone for a few hours working on something, the first thing she says when I walk in the door is "Are you bleeding anywhere?" Glad nothing broke when you fell.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

6. Member
    Man be carefull !!! Im 63 and i almost fell off front deck other day.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

glad you came out of it that good, dang ramps can be a dangerous place

seen a guy on Wheeler years ago slip on his trailer got caught up in it and ended the day with a broken leg
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

8. Member
    I'm 78, I go over the bow to hook up all the time because I fish alone. 2 things. I always wear my PFD and I leave my cell phone in the glove box of the boat. Make it 3 things, I've been overboard (on the water) at least 5 times. Once is too many.
    Hope there's no permanent damage.

9. Member
    I hope you fare better than I did.
    I lost my sense of balance at age 80 and it did in my fishing alone or with partners.
    Sold the Skeeter and now at 84 all I can do is dream but at least I am taking care of myself and still have the dream part.
    Getting old is not for young people.

if you hit your mellon, you might want to get checked for concussion.........

11. Member
    Wow, I’m glad you’re ok. I use my steps and handle getting in and out of the boat when it’s on the trailer. They help a whole bunch.

12. Member
    Boat ramps can be truly dangerous. Was at Sam Rayburn this past weekend and one of the ramps was closed as authorities were looking for a drowning victim. Never heard the specifics but he and his wife were either launching or loading their boat when somehow he went in. Be careful whether you’re alone or with someone.

Glad you're OK, and you are right people really need to be careful around ramps and getting in/out of boats.

I have seen several people go down at a launch, once saw a guy take 2 spills. The COE ramps around here have on the end of the walkway a metal plate that sits at an angle depending on how the dock is positioned, it's probably about 3 feet long and can be very slick. One day I had just launched and was fishing not too far from the ramp, another guy came in to launch, got his boat off the trailer and tied to the front of the dock, he walks down the walkway, steps on the metal extension part which at the time was partially underwater, and goes down sideways and lands in a foot of water and gets completely soaked, but he was unhurt.

So he goes back to his truck, backs the trailer in, obviously done for the day, gets the boat on the trailer, goes to get off at the bow, loses his footing and hits the concrete pretty hard. He just kind of laid there for a couple of seconds so I was starting to get concerned, but he did finally get up - I asked him if he was OK and needed help, but he said he was fine, got his boat tied down and left.

I also remember a time when I had launched my boat on Beaver, parked the truck, started walking towards the ramp walkway, another boat had come in, a striper guide boat, tied up, the guide got out and came down the walkway, hit that metal plate, his feet went flying out and he hit the ground hard - I was like 4 feet from him when it happened. He also laid there for a few seconds and I crouched down by him and asked him if he was alright, he was, he got up and went to get is truck.

Glad you are ok. I always thought A tackle shop owner had polo. One of the guys at the G’Ville rally told me the story how he was helping a boater in the parking lot and slipped off the trailer falling and hitting his head. Result was like having a stroke.

Last year’s Christmas present from the wife was Trick Steps for my trailer. I’ll be 70 next summer—— the steps have made things easier, and safer

15. Member
    Ouch! Glad you are not seriously hurt! Things like that can happen to anyone but younger folks don’t hurt as long or bad.

16. Member
    glad you're ok, but that'll teach you not to leave while the fish are hitting
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

17. #FRB
    I almost learned the hard way a while back to NEVER use a spray with wax in it on the trailer where you step over the bow of the boat on. If I don't pony up for a wide step for the front of my trailer I need to at least put some kind of non-skid something or other where I step on it because I know my day is coming where my foot slips and wipe out. Usually leave my tailgate down to step on when putting the boat on the trailer since that's when an accident is most likely to happen but still have to step on the trailer to get in the boat to back it off (I hate sending the boat flying on a rope so don't do that anymore).

Probably 25 years ago my friend's uncle and grandpa put in at the hatchery ramp on Hamilton. After parking the truck grandpa goes to step in the boat off the dock but instead misses and goes into really cold water over his head. Was told all you could see was his hat floating. Loyd went to the truck and got a change of clothes, dried off and they went fishing.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. Member
    glasses and phones cost alot,oh glad your ok,at 66 it hurts more and them cat like moves are just not fast anymore lol

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I almost learned the hard way a while back to NEVER use a spray with wax in it on the trailer where you step over the bow of the boat on. If I don't pony up for a wide step for the front of my trailer I need to at least put some kind of non-skid something or other where I step on it because I know my day is coming where my foot slips and wipe out. Usually leave my tailgate down to step on when putting the boat on the trailer since that's when an accident is most likely to happen but still have to step on the trailer to get in the boat to back it off (I hate sending the boat flying on a rope so don't do that anymore).

Probably 25 years ago my friend's uncle and grandpa put in at the hatchery ramp on Hamilton. After parking the truck grandpa goes to step in the boat off the dock but instead misses and goes into really cold water over his head. Was told all you could see was his hat floating. Loyd went to the truck and got a change of clothes, dried off and they went fishing.

Buy this stuff. 12” long, 4” wide. Cut it in half lengthwise, self adhesive backing

Good to hear that your phone and glasses survived! Out of curiosity, what sort of footwear? I found out the hard way that worn-out Crocks are dangerous.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast