1999 Ranger 518VS

Wondering if someone out there may be able to help me understand an issue I'm having with my boat set-up. I'm not new to setting up boats, but am new to Ranger bass boats. Previously I've owned Skeeter's and Winyah's . Now I have a 1999 Ranger 518VS with a 200 Optimax and 6" jack plate. It also has 4 batteries (36V TM), and a MK Talon as well.

With a 25 Tempest it will run in the 68 mph @ 5200 rpm with the jack plate set @ 3-3/4" ptp. It has great lift and handles well also. However, my holeshot is very poor (especially with full livewells and another person), and I also get some kind of hesitation/stumble when I press the throttle down to get on plane (even when I'm in the boat alone). It's weird because it almost feels like it's a motor problem (fuel issue), but if I switch to a Trophy prop (same pitch), I have no issue whatsoever, and the boat planes out better as well. For some reason switching to the 4 blade prop, that stumble goes away??? Could this be some type of cavitation? Also with the Tempest prop, I removed all the vent plugs to get my holeshot the best I could, but it had the hesitation/stumble with them in the prop also so I've eliminated those being related to causing this problem.

My problem with the Trophy prop is that I lose about 5 mph on top end, and I really don't want to give up that much speed. I'm only able to run 63 mph @ 5600 rpm (alone), and have tried raising the motor up to 3-1/4" ptp with no change.

Wondering if anyone out there has some experience with setting up this boat, and that "stumble" that I get with a 3 blade Tempest prop installed??? I'd really like to make the Tempest work for best top end and lift, or at least get the Trophy within a couple mph of it.

Thank ya'll.

2. Member
    The trophy is showing 20% slip and that's why it's slower than the tempest at higher rpm's it needs some work to make it right. A worked 24 tempest may be the best prop for your setup, it would get you more rpm's and probably a better hole shot. That 25 is probably too much pitch loaded.