Trolling motor shaft length?

Just wondering for those who currently own either a CX20 or CX21 if a 45” Ultrex or 47” Ghost trolling motor seems sufficient enough in rough water conditions? Or would a 52” be the wiser choice? Currently in a Triton with a wedge underneath the trolling motor and the 45” definitely doesn’t cut it once the wind blows.

45 is plenty, never came out of water even on rough day on guntersville

3. Member
    I have the 47 ghost on my cx 20 and in my opinion it is way too short. I will be taking the loss and upgrading to the longer shaft.

4. Member
    I’ve got the ghost on my boat and will most likely upgrade to the 52” shaft once it is available.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

5. Member
    Ok. Good info to keep in mind. Thanks guys

6. Member
    I have the 47 ghost. I fish ky lake ledges. I like it. Had the 52 on my Triton. It was just to long for me and storage. If ky lake ledges get that bad, I fish another day. Tva current and wind get really bad.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    Ok. Good info to keep in mind. Thanks guys
    I fish Ky/Barkely/Tenn River and a 52 inch is a must have unless you have a day when the lake is slick with no current. You get a little chop from the big boat traffic then you will be running your trolling motor all day to just stay even and this goes true for about all the brands of boats i have sold over the years. If your a retired guy who can pick your days and the way you want to fish then the 45 or 47 would be ok. If i fished Florida or shallow water all the time then 47 be fine, buy what meets your needs!!

8. Member
    A year and a half and still only the 47 available. What a scam. How hard could it really be to release the 52" model.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trxtx View Post
    A year and a half and still only the 47 available. What a scam. How hard could it really be to release the 52" model.
    No KIDDING!

I mean what were they thinking? Yeah SURE the MLF or whatever it was was where they did all their 'beta' testing, running the Z18's with them. But most of the rest of the world has a 20'~22' bass boat. IMO, the 47" just doesn't cut it for the bigger boats. I've watched guys with the shorter shaft on TV, and the instant they hit/turn the 47, you can see it stir up the top of the water.

One of the bit 'tackle' stores keeps posting arrival dates for the 52" & 60". Of course they never have them. Last date for the 52" was Oct 25th. I've been told by folks that know the dates much better than them, and I'm assured it'll likely be December sometime. Good thing I'm a patient man! Just glad my old Fortrex is holding on till the 52" arrives. (That and the 3-in-1 nose cone that ALSO took 18 months to show up.)

While I don't have a Caymas, I'd sure like one!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

10. Banned
    Had a 45 and used it one day and put a 52 on.