Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

P4 starting point. PTPad

Attached is a picture of my setup. 13 P4 with 200 Optimax Pro XS.I will look back through the threads to gain more knowledge but since I had a specific question I’m posting a new thread.
    With my engine prop shaft level it is 12” off the cement . My hull is 15 3/4”. So currently 3.75 below pad if I did it right?
    In limited running I can’t seem to get over 5400 rpms. Running both the 25 Trophy and tempest plus. Trophy has been best at 68 but that prop is in better shape. Some of that could be my inexperience but that was pedal to the floor in recent cool weather. Started walking with both props. Hole shot is good. Water PSI was as high as 20.
    Im looking to raise in increments unless someone says I should not.
    30504C35-9E01-4A9E-8B6F-754D1C4BBD4F.jpeg
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Judson1; 10-27-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    Slidemaster should have 4 side bolts and a jack screw (if I remember its 1") in the center to raise and lower. Next question is what is providing your rpm info? Smart craft or analog?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Slidemaster should have 4 side bolts and a jack screw (if I remember its 1") in the center to raise and lower. Next question is what is providing your rpm info? Smart craft or analog?
    Yeah I just tried it. It was pretty easy. Raised it 1/4”.
    And I am reading the smart craft.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

4. Member
    Have you verified your throttle/hot foot settings, are you achieving WOT at the engine, is hot foot adjusted properly? showthread.php

5. Member
    I have a 2006 p4 and 06 opti not a pro xs. 6 inch plate . 2” prop to pad 24 fury 4 . Same rpm issues but I see 65 mph . Plenty of water pressure and great holeshot

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Have you verified your throttle/hot foot settings, are you achieving WOT at the engine, is hot foot adjusted properly? showthread.php
    Haven't yet but the thought crossed my mind. Thanks for the reference thread.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

7. Member
    Have you tried a Fury on the motor yet? I just bought a P4 hit 67MPH no walking straight as an arrow. I would check the hotfoot for WOT and then go from there. I have been driving Bass Cat boats for awhile you have to air them out before they get going and just tap the trim.

24 fury 3 @ 3-1/2 PtP
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by BullShoalsbasser View Post
    I have a 2006 p4 and 06 opti not a pro xs. 6 inch plate . 2” prop to pad 24 fury 4 . Same rpm issues but I see 65 mph . Plenty of water pressure and great holeshot
    you must be measuring wrong.......that boat would not even run at 2" prop to pad....the P4 likes to run low especially with that prop I was achieving 69 MPH HEAVY LOADED with my 24 fury 4 on a p4 3-1/4" PtP ...almost all cats prefer 3" or more p2p

10. Member
    I’ve read many who say their jackplate plates are flush. Or at least very close to it. In my initial post I included a picture. Is that considered just above flush? Or way above? I guess it depends on how you look at it.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

11. Member
    From your picture it looks to be about a 1/4 in below flush. To pick up rpm's I had to drop to a 24 fury from a 25 fury. If I were you, I would raise it a bit and go fish. Your only chasing a couple of MPH's.

12. Member
    Remember the P4 is the heaviest and hence slowest 19 foot Cat, 70 loaded is great.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

13. Member
    When they say "flush" they are referring to the jack plate being flush. I messed with mine on a 09 classic 200 opti and I finally got it right. I'm at about 2.5" and running a 8" slide master with a 25 fury that bumps the limiter. It'll go 73 with me and all my stuff.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrtrain View Post
    When they say "flush" they are referring to the jack plate being flush. I messed with mine on a 09 classic 200 opti and I finally got it right. I'm at about 2.5" and running a 8" slide master with a 25 fury that bumps the limiter. It'll go 73 with me and all my stuff.
    To me my picture appears to show the JP being 1/4 inch above flush on the end closest to the boat. But towards the back of the jackplate it looks 3 inches or so above. Of course the mounting holes the engine is mounted on could be different and then flush on the JP would be different from someone else’s boat. Mine is mounted on the 4th hole (next to lowest setting) I’m still 3.5 inches below pad.
    In time I will be able to work with the setup some. Just trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    To me my picture appears to show the JP being 1/4 inch above flush on the end closest to the boat. But towards the back of the jackplate it looks 3 inches or so above. Of course the mounting holes the engine is mounted on could be different and then flush on the JP would be different from someone else’s boat. Mine is mounted on the 4th hole (next to lowest setting) I’m still 3.5 inches below pad.
    In time I will be able to work with the setup some. Just trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks
    As others have mentioned...don't "over tinker" with the P4 chasing a couple MPH...I spent many hours tinkering with jackplate height, props, etc. The beauty of this boat is the fact you can set the P2p AT 3-1/2" throw on a 24 fury or 25 fury and go...it will have great holeshot, and run aroudn 70- loaded...you just won't see more then that the p4 is not a "fast" boat. learning to drive that boat is going to get you where you need to be. IMO the Trophy Plus prop is a terrible prop. I loved my 24 Fury 4 for rough water and midrange cruising and my 25 Fury 3 for top end. The Tempest performed good as well. I think you are right there and seat time and learning to drive the boat will get you the extra MPH or two you are looking for.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    As others have mentioned...don't "over tinker" with the P4 chasing a couple MPH...I spent many hours tinkering with jackplate height, props, etc. The beauty of this boat is the fact you can set the P2p AT 3-1/2" throw on a 24 fury or 25 fury and go...it will have great holeshot, and run aroudn 70- loaded...you just won't see more then that the p4 is not a "fast" boat. learning to drive that boat is going to get you where you need to be. IMO the Trophy Plus prop is a terrible prop. I loved my 24 Fury 4 for rough water and midrange cruising and my 25 Fury 3 for top end. The Tempest performed good as well. I think you are right there and seat time and learning to drive the boat will get you the extra MPH or two you are looking for.
    Thanks for the advice. First thing I need to do is verify my throttle is able to achieve wide open. I’ll need help for that but I think it all starts there. The current setup is in line with what you all are telling me. So I just need to figure out why I’m only getting 5400 rpms in this cool fall air. And it could just be more seat time needed. But I’d like to check that throttle.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

17. Member
    So after raising the engine 1/4 inch a few weeks back I finally got to drive it today. Definitely didn’t help. I didn’t run it wide open much today. But when I did I didn’t even see 5300 rpms (smartcraft). I appreciate the advice saying to not tinker with this thing. But 5300 tells me I’m doing something wrong. I think I saw 62mph once. By myself and I’m 175. The boat jumps onto plane. So it can spin the 25 tempest no problem. Today was cool and dry. Yet it didn’t run as well today as it has. Some could be the product of raising the engine a 1/4 inch up. But that would’ve aided in more rpms right? I’ll be the first to say I have to learn how to drive it. But I honestly dont think that’s the main problem. The prop isn’t perfect but I’d say it’s an 8 out of 10.
    At 5300 rpms it certainly doesn’t seem as if I should lower it. But maybe I’ll put it back where it was originally. The boat was a repo so I don’t have the luxury to ask the previous owner. But it’s hard for me to imagine he rode around 4-500 rpms less than max.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

5300 RPM @ 62 MPH ...it sounds like you are not getting your full 200 HP from your engine...I would check to make sure you are getting true WOT. Also check to make sure a plug is fouled, all spark plug boots are on the plug fully and tightly, no exposed/compromised spots in spark plug wire. how does the fuel system look? I would change VST fuel filter, plugs, and all other recommended Optimax maintenance. If boat was a repo its likely in need of some maintenance at the very least. I would make 100% the motor is running as it should before you start playing with setup.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    5300 RPM @ 62 MPH ...it sounds like you are not getting your full 200 HP from your engine...I would check to make sure you are getting true WOT. Also check to make sure a plug is fouled, all spark plug boots are on the plug fully and tightly, no exposed/compromised spots in spark plug wire. how does the fuel system look? I would change VST fuel filter, plugs, and all other recommended Optimax maintenance. If boat was a repo its likely in need of some maintenance at the very least. I would make 100% the motor is running as it should before you start playing with setup.
    Thanks. I certainly will start looking into items that you mentioned. I did a visual on the throttle range but its possible I may not have done it correctly. The dealer replaced the water pump and gear lube but no mention of the items you suggested. I also think I will lower the engine back to where it was. In its original position I ran 67.9 solo with the 25 trophy I had. But I still had low rpms (5380). So I see no reason why I shouldn’t just lower the engine back where it was. Naturally I thought a lower setting means less rpms but that wasn’t the case apparently. Perhaps the lower position allows the boat to lift better and produces better speed and let’s the engine turn more rpms? What I do know is that even with three men (600lbs) in the boat it’s holeshot was still very good.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

This may have been asked but what are you getting the rpms from? Smartcraft or analog gauges?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast