Yamaha Interface Problem

Have had the interface cable on my SHO for quite sometime & never a problem. Last week it worked fine. Went to the lake yesterday & nothing worked on my HDS for the NEMA2000. No RPM, WP, etc, nothing. Anyone have any ideas as to the problem or a solution. I have checked everything on the NEMA network, (Yamaha cable, live well temps, LGC 4000 HS). nothing shows up. Before I could power up the Lowrance (HDS12 Gen 3), turn the ignition on, go to the system, network, device list and it would show the SHO & the LGC. Now there is nothing but HDS. I have checked everything I know to check & can't find anything wrong. Fuses are good, power to the NEMA backbone, etc. Is there anyway to check the interface cable to determine if it is good or just went south. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pic from last week.
    .IMG_0695.jpg

Since nothing is working on your nema2K system I would first look at whether or not it is powered up. Check the connection nema to your hds. I would disconnect it and then put it back in. Loose or corroded connection somewhere in the circuit.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

When I got back home I check the fuse in the power cable, it was blown. Put another fuse in blew that one. Connect red pos wire directly to the blue sea terminal block. Wire got very hot to the touch. So hooked the fuse holder back up, Just used a 12v tester & had power to the far side of the fuse holder. Disconnected the nema pwr cable & tested it with the tester. From the gnd on the terminal block to the nema cable I had pwr on two pins, opposite each other. From the pos side, I had one pin that had power. So now it didn't blow the fuse but still doesn't show the Yamaha on the device list. Just shows the MFD HDS 3 of the usual 5 times. So wondering if my pwr cable is bad now but can't find any reason for it to blow a fuse. Lake week it worked fine and nothing was touched to make it malfunction. Just hoping it isn't the Yamaha interface, but don't know why it should be. I disconnected all the NEMA connections but the Yam interface, pwr cable, & HDS cable. So just those 3 are on the NEMA network. My 2 live wells & LGC are disconnected now. New pwr cable or Yamaha cable or both? BTW, 3 amp fuses.

BTW, is the Garmin pwr cable the same as the Lowrance one?

5. Member
    Blown fuses and the power wire getting hot when you connect w/o fuse is a clear sign of a short somewhere. N2K is a standard, both the Garmin and Lowrance N2K power nodes are electrically compatible.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

A short is what I thought also but can't figure out where it is. Nothing has been touched since it was working fine last week. Tomorrow I will take it off the terminal block and straight wire it to the battery.

Seems to me like a pinched wire somewhere in the nema system. I would disconnect everything, get down to just the basic nema circuit loop, see if that blows then add things back in one at a time. I don't know what is inside the Tees (nodes) in the system to make it all work. There must be some resistors and/or capacitors that make it all work.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I was thinking is is a short in the NEMA power cable. I ordered a new cable, should get it 1st of the week. I changed out some of the tees & put just the Yamaha cable, Power with the 2 resistors. So I'm going to run it straight to the battery. If it still get hot I'll know it is in the power cable or in the NEMA system itself. Really baffles me to how this is doing. Thanks Butch

Hooked up the power cable to my battery. Touched the negative wire to the post, sparked & got hot almost instantly. Now when I say hot, it's too hot to hold. So, back to square one.

Got it working again.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Got it working again.
    what was the problem ?