Looking to buy a 1989 ranger

I’m looking at a 1989 ranger 360v it looks like a decent boat it has a Yamaha proV 150. My main question is what should I be looking for when buying a boat that old? And do these bot have any specific problems they suffered that I should be aware of? I’m counting on the vast knowledge on this forum to help me out. Thanks all. He’s asking $5000 do you think this price is fair is has 1 7in fish finder and a min kota Maxxum.

No specific issues with the late 80's boats after Ranger decided to remove the wood in the transoms. First viewing will tell you a lot of how the rig has been cared for. The 2 stroke Yamaha's are bullet proof engines. Check compression, foot oil and do a run test. I still have my 1990 362V with a ProV 150 and she's still going strong. If you can post some pics that would be helpful.

3. Member
    look at the trailer closely

4. Member
    The 360 was the precursor to the 361. It has the same double-step hull and has the front storage box replacing the front live-well common in previous rigs. They tended to run a little nose-heavy due to the horizontal rea rod locker they placed behind the cockpit seats but still performed well. This arrangement bumped the cockpit seating and related weight further forward than the subsequent 361. Also the 360 does not have the raised front flipping deck. As noted above the transom and stringers will be pultruded fiberglass so no worries there, however the floor is fiberglass encased plywood. Check the floor carefully at the driver console as water tended to lay there and result in soft punky wood in this area. Honestly if that rig's in good shape the price is very fair in the current market.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

5. Member
    I have a 1985 340V - with a wood transom and almost certainly wood stringers.

The live well system - check the valves. I replaced my valves, pumps, and wiring, & plumbing for the live wells.

Look at the date on the batteries and see if there is water in them - if not... they may not have been maintained well.

Even though it's an '89 w/ a glass transom, stand on the motor and check it for other damage.

Do check all floor decking for soft spots. - the hatch lids also get soft and flex. and check the seat post bases - to see if they are solid - they can tell you where rot is sometimes before the floor gets soft.

I re-placed all fuel lines, the filler host, vent hose, and fill cap. I just wasn't going to be satisfied any other way. - If you are not planning on replacing them, ask if they've been replaced and look for signs of degradation - though old lines w/ ethanol would degrade from the inside-out.

Trailer:
    Check the bunks under the boat - look at carpet when you take it for a test drive. it's a little thing, but it is time and money.

I ended up replacing both hubs, and BOTH sets of springs... after one set broke (finally) all the way through, rotated out, and set one of my tires on fire. - yep. it was awesome.

I replaced the buckles at the stern and the bow roller and the winch.

That 300 series was a great series. This boat - though short and 35yrs old is an absolute joy to fish out of.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Bryce, I purchased an '88 360V five years ago for $5K that was near mint condition! Stored away in a shed covered and tarped in 2002 and not pulled out until 2015. I had to have extended carb work done (at his expense) as everything had varnished up, but after that, I have had 5 years of perfect running on a 32 year old rig! Boat is a little narrow at the front compared to todays boats, but it fit's my needs perfectly! Not sorry for a minute that I bought it!! Good Luck!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

7. Member
    That’s a good point I was so concerned about the boat I’d probably forget to make sure the trailer is good

8. Member
    Would it be bad do get an earlier model that did have wood in the transom?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankb8 View Post
    Bryce, I purchased an '88 360V five years ago for $5K that was near mint condition! Stored away in a shed covered and tarped in 2002 and not pulled out until 2015. I had to have extended carb work done (at his expense) as everything had varnished up, but after that, I have had 5 years of perfect running on a 32 year old rig! Boat is a little narrow at the front compared to todays boats, but it fit's my needs perfectly! Not sorry for a minute that I bought it!! Good Luck!
    how do you find these deals?!? I’ve been searching for a couple months and can’t find something that amazing!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankb8 View Post
    I fish back seat out of this boat on a weekly basis in the summer time and it’s one of the nicest boats to fish from! Rides nice, is plenty quick and stable. Not as much storage up front but how much crap do you need? I don’t think the locker holds rods longer than 7’ but the deck will hold them fine. These boats are like a 65 mustang, just a true classic!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce522 View Post
    how do you find these deals?!? I’ve been searching for a couple months and can’t find something that amazing!
    He told me about this deal and said he was “thinking” about it!

There wasn’t much to think about, just glad it was still there when I came back to make the deal. It was meant to be!