Thread: Tin choice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tin choice?

I will be looking for another boat next spring and was trying to decide Tin vs Fiberglass. I loved my last boat (Triton 18xs), but had to sell it.

with all the posts I read online about cracked or broken welds I am curious why so many are choosing tin boats? I realize the weight for lessor motor and towing, but I never had any structural issues with my Triton or heard of any glass boat cracking due to anything other than actually hitting something.

Im not bashing tin boats, as I am considering one because of the lower weight and price, just wondering how much more durable they really are if you are a careful boater.

2. Banned
    if you're a careful boater, tin is VERY VERY VERY durable.

3. Member
    Thank you!

4. Member
    I bought mine because it’s just easy to store, use, and maintain. The little 115 sips gas compared to my old 225. Oil changes cost me less than 70.00 a year. My three year service was expensive at 300.00. But, the last routine work on the big boat was 2,000.00. Don’t beat the aluminum boat to death and it should last. Mine is four years old and still looks fantastic. The only downside is running rough water. You’ll want good rain gear because water blows back in on you a LOT more than any 18’ glass boat I’ve owned.

5. Member
    Thanks for the response. I primarily fish lake Lanier and even in my glass boat avoid the main lake on busy weekends. What boat do you own? I’m looking at the ranger Rt188p, triton 19 txp or crestliner xf 189.

6. Member
    I bought a 2019 Ranger 198P with a Mercury 150 four stroke in Feb . Like it better than 20' glass boat I had . Easier for me to handle alone and maintainence is a LOT cheaper .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstate Gamecock View Post
    I bought a 2019 Ranger 198P with a Mercury 150 four stroke in Feb . Like it better than 20' glass boat I had . Easier for me to handle alone and maintainence is a LOT cheaper .
    Thanks...I like the look of those. I have heard allot of people saying the aluminum should be thicker to have a motor larger than 115hp. I don't want to believe that...the 198 should move really well...my Triton 18 XS only had a 150hp.

8. Member
    I have a Ranger 198P on order. My first aluminum so can't say much about it other than they are more expensive than I expected, especially when you start dressing them up with an Ultrex, passenger console, etc. The upside is my glass trade was worth a whole lot more than I expected. It will also be my first 4 stroke. Looking forward to that.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

I’m on my 4th aluminum in 7 years. I’ve had 2 trackers and 2 rangers. All have been reliable, tow easy, store easy (single axle), and draft very shallow. My 188P is good enough for big lakes (fished lake of the ozarks big bass bash this month) and fishes really well on the smaller waters I fish most of the time around home. Once I start traveling more and fishing bigger waters more often, I’ll probly get a 19 - 21’ glass ride. What worries me most about glass is things like hull blisters (not covered under warranty), tagging the boat with lures, scuffing from just regular use, etc and not having a good glass repair shop nearby.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishgolf View Post
    Thanks for the response. I primarily fish lake Lanier and even in my glass boat avoid the main lake on busy weekends. What boat do you own? I’m looking at the ranger Rt188p, triton 19 txp or crestliner xf 189.
    I have a RT188. If I were buying today I'd buy the pad hull.

11. Member
    A lot of the cracking issues are from 150-200hp motors on .100 thick hulls. I would never own one of those. I think a 350-375# motor should be max on a .100" tin boat. Xpress has LONG been making 18-21 Tin for 150-250hp and they don't have those issues because they use .125" on all their X line.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    I did lots of research and did some test rides. Modern tin boats are WAY better than the old Cajun Specials or the deep V johns with consoles. They are quiet, quick and handle well. The biggest differences I will notice are a cheaper boat, cheaper motor, lower running costs... vs slightly more comfortable in rough water and slightly quieter??? I am not going out in rough weather anyway, I can pick my days to go out when it is comfortable, or just hit protected waters, I never seen a chop in the marsh...

If I were buying today it would be a new, pad hull boat so I would have the warranty. Just too many issues out there with these aluminum hulls not have that insurance.

I am stuck between a Bass Cat Margay and one of the 18'-19' boats. Yes the Margay is a 17'-7" boat but handles better than the larger aluminum boats when it gets rough. Plus with the Margay you will not get blown around as much in the wind. It is also a 65mph boat with a 150hp, a speed the aluminum boats won't even come close to with the same HP. The Margay comes nicely optioned standard and with a Mercury 150 Pro XS prices at about $38,000 which is what you will pay for one of these pad hull aluminums.

14. Member
    If you're going to keep it long term Grizzley I'd look at the Sabre FTD special Cat has going right now for 44K. It has a tandem trailer, a 175 4 S, and good electronics. My former Sabre FTD with a 1752S was a blast! 70 MPH in an 18' boat that handles like a go kart on the water. I paid 30K OTD for my RT188 four years ago, that includes the longest Platinum Warranty that Mercury offers. I just couldn't see another 10-12,000 dollars.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    A lot of the cracking issues are from 150-200hp motors on .100 thick hulls. I would never own one of those. I think a 350-375# motor should be max on a .100" tin boat. Xpress has LONG been making 18-21 Tin for 150-250hp and they don't have those issues because they use .125" on all their X line.
    Agree, I might have missed them, but I don't think I have ever seen any complaints about cracking on an Xpress, Lund or Seark.

16. Member
    Lund boats Pro v Bass ALUMINUM boats: 2 sizes and 2 interior versions in each size-- IPS 2 hull with pad hull, riveted - not welded, double thick "twin plated" hull on the front half, (Total thickness ~ .200 hull on the 1875 & .225 on the 2075 model). wood free , Lifetime warranty, Rated up to250hp. Check them out, "Fishgolf".https://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/pro-v-bass/

17. Member
    Plus 1 on the Lund Bass line. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    Lund boats Pro v Bass ALUMINUM boats: 2 sizes and 2 interior versions in each size-- IPS 2 hull with pad hull, riveted - not welded, double thick "twin plated" hull on the front half, (Total thickness ~ .200 hull on the 1875 & .225 on the 2075 model). wood free , Lifetime warranty, Rated up to250hp. Check them out, "Fishgolf".https://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/pro-v-bass/
    thanks T-Mac I have heard good things about Lund. My only concern is the nearest dealer to me is over 100 miles away. I also wasn’t sure about a riveted boat over a welded one.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    thanks T-Mac I have heard good things about Lund. My only concern is the nearest dealer to me is over 100 miles away. I also wasn’t sure about a riveted boat over a welded one.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishgolf View Post
    If I was thinking Crestliner, I would wait to look at the rumored new mx19. Not out yet but heard it is coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast