idbefishing

Do you have a post election plan?

My portfolio was almost 100% large cap stocks but now is as if I’m gonna retire next year. Hopefully yesterday sell off wasn’t the beginning of the trend as I think more investors are afraid of the capital gains tax that we might have to deal with.

My household income is under the $1 million threshold, for which the higher capital gains rate, matching the ordinary income tax rate is being proposed. I wish I was concerned about it. May be buying beaten down Exxon next Wednesday afternoon, after a day of expected volatility, which will also be after their earnings report on Oct 30. 10.6% annualized dividend yield, if it doesn't get cut. Holding Verizon, and deciding whether to hold/sell Apple and Bitcoin after its recent runup. May sell Ford before they go bankrupt.

3. Member
    Yes and I already implemented it. Went to 20% stocks. We will have a downturn for some time. However know one can predict how long a recovery may take.....we are in unprecedented times. I’m retired as well.
    Last edited by flyingwillie; 10-28-2020 at 11:24 AM.

4. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    My household income is under the $1 million threshold, for which the higher capital gains rate, matching the ordinary income tax rate is being proposed. I wish I was concerned about it. May be buying beaten down Exxon next Wednesday afternoon, after a day of expected volatility, which will also be after their earnings report on Oct 30. 10.6% annualized dividend yield, if it doesn't get cut. Holding Verizon, and deciding whether to hold/sell Apple and Bitcoin after its recent runup. May sell Ford before they go bankrupt.
    I don't have to worry about the tax either. What I did was purely to protect my account from possible significant drops such as one in March. Looking at the market today, glad I made the move.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I hope it does drop more so I can buy at better prices, but I'm not selling anything. I don't think the election really matters. Only the Fed matters
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    I'm transferring some assets to my kids before the end of the year. Other than that just looking to buy some good companies at cheaper prices. With yield being low for the intermediate term, dividends will be the only way to get any type of passive income. Looking to buy stocks with yield in the 3-4% range.

7. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I hope it does drop more so I can buy at better prices, but I'm not selling anything. I don't think the election really matters. Only the Fed matters
    Too late to be selling now.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    My portfolio was almost 100% large cap stocks but now is as if I’m gonna retire next year. Hopefully yesterday sell off wasn’t the beginning of the trend as I think more investors are afraid of the capital gains tax that we might have to deal with.
    I moved into a 50 bond, 50 stock balance about a year ago. Been rebalancing every 6 months. Seems to work. That said with my local money, I have been in cash. Looking to get some Gold on the dips. Afraid on my fixed income that the continued Fed easing and printing of money that my money is being devalued every damm day. Looking for inflation to kick up soon.
    dvl2700

9. Member
    After the new tax plan is introduced the recovery will be an extremely extended affair.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    After the new tax plan is introduced the recovery will be an extremely extended affair.
    Whose tax plan are you referring to?