Anyone use DAP Weldwood in cooler temps?

I had been trying to determine whether to use a carpet glue or DAP Weldwood when re-carpeting my boat. I got a lot of recommendations for the DAP, so that's the direction I decided to go. So far I have only gotten the front deck done, but I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems. The DAP containers says to apply when temps are 65 degrees or warmer and will be that way for at least 72 hours. I applied it in my garage, but it's not a heated garage and we've had some cold nights lately. I have a small portable propane heater I used to try and keep the garage warmer over the weekend, but I know there were several times the temps dipped into the low 50's. Do I need to worry about the adhesive not bonding correctly, or will it just take longer for it to completely adhere and dry with cooler temps?

2. Member
    I've used it in the 50's it will dry, but takes much longer. Word of caution, really smelly stuff so use in open area and watch using an open-element or flame around the stuff.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    I've used it in the 50's it will dry, but takes much longer. Word of caution, really smelly stuff so use in open area and watch using an open-element or flame around the stuff.
    Thanks! My boat is in the garage until next Spring, so it has plenty of time to dry. I am more concerned with whether the adhesive will properly bond like it should in the cooler temps. I learned the hard way this weekend about the smell and fumes. I wanted to keep the garage as warm as possible, so I waited until I had applied, waited for it to tack up, and put the carpet on the deck before I opened the garage door to air out the fumes. I had a headache for most of the next day and I think it might have been due to this. I still have several more pieces of carpet to put down, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do that without getting too much cold air in the garage. Hopefully I get lucky and we have a few warm days left where I can open the garage door when applying it.

4. Member
    I’m fortunate to have an insulated garage, but my heater is a torpedo heater, which works awesome but not a good idea with contact cement. I heated my garage to about 75-80 and shut the heater off, then applied the glue/carpet. I wanted everything warm when I did this. If you can spring for a kerosene torpedo heater go for it! Just don’t start anything on fire!

I think your carpet will be fine, but if you haven’t already, make sure your carpet trim is warm and pliable when you stick it down. It makes a huge difference on how well it sticks, and how well it bends.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks! My boat is in the garage until next Spring, so it has plenty of time to dry. I am more concerned with whether the adhesive will properly bond like it should in the cooler temps. I learned the hard way this weekend about the smell and fumes. I wanted to keep the garage as warm as possible, so I waited until I had applied, waited for it to tack up, and put the carpet on the deck before I opened the garage door to air out the fumes. I had a headache for most of the next day and I think it might have been due to this. I still have several more pieces of carpet to put down, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do that without getting too much cold air in the garage. Hopefully I get lucky and we have a few warm days left where I can open the garage door when applying it.
    It's been 4+ years, never had it buckle or come up. I even added padding beneath.

Should work fine at those temps as long as you press the material all into place. It must be manually pressed together.

When I did mine in the garage this spring, I put the cover on the boat and then placed a small electric heater under it. Worked great.

8. Member
    If you are replacing your carpet trim, which I would assume you are since it’s not reusable. Use a heat gun to help shape it and around any corners. Works great
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

9. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys! My garage is insulated but just isn't heated. I did borrow my dad's little propane heater, but didn't think to do that until after I had already got the deck carpet laid down. I turned that heater on every 6-8 hours for the rest of that day and all of the next day. I'd warm it up to about 75 or so and then turn it off. I just wanted to check on the temp and adhesion with people more knowledgeable about this than myself before I went and did any more carpeting. It's been a time consuming job and I really don't want to have to do it over again for something as preventable as having the garage too cold. I think when I go to do more carpeting I'll do as suggested and warm the garage up really good first and then put the adhesive and carpeting down. I did put the new trim on the deck as well and it seemed to go down ok, but using a heat gun to help is a good idea.

10. Member
    Last edited by jerzia; 10-28-2020 at 07:59 PM.

11. Member
    A quick hint get yourself a hand held carpet or "J" roller. It will help make a real tight bond with the contact cement. Lots out there but here is an example. https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC...B&gclsrc=aw.ds And another
    https://www.amazon.com/WoodyWalls-Hi...a-908117781494

12. Member
    If you can get high on it its usually good stuff surprisingly not illegal yet

Snatch your wife's rolling pin - works great.

Whoops, is that sexist? Oh well.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Snatch your wife's rolling pin - works great.

Whoops, is that sexist? Oh well.
    Works on open areas but a J roller works much better is tight spaces and next to gunnels.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by r83srock View Post
    If you can spring for a kerosene torpedo heater go for it!
    go with a propane one..way better