Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any new ideas on mounting a DI Transducer on new Terrova?

Like a lot of Terrova owners, I’m not wanting to use the US2, opting for a different transducer “attached” to the motor. The issue is what to do with the transducer cable, to keep it from wrapping around the shaft.

I’ve read all the threads & posts and watched the videos but everything I’m seeing either sticks-out like a sore thumb or looks butt ugly (curled hoses, stand-off brackets, springs, glue in the shaft groove, etc.). There’s got to be a better way!

Has anyone tried running an aftermarket transducer cable into the motor housing, then up through the shaft (like the US2)? It seems like this would be the logical solution, other than how to waterproof the hole in the motor. However, I have limited experience with the business end of a trolling motor, so I defer to your expertise.

Is my idea viable?

Any other ideas?

Any new products to solve this problem?

2. Member
    I have successfully mounted transducers to the Terrova and Ulterra. I used coiled cords and they worked flawlessly. They do look a little weird but function effectively. I think your idea of a wire down the shaft and through the base of the shaft is ultimately trouble for little gain. I can think of two possible solutions for you.'
    1. Cornfield Crappie makes a slide mount for the Mega360 that fits the Terrova. It would not be difficult to put a DI transducer to this mount.
    2. Stand alone mount like SHUT-UP-AND-FISH's Poleducer which would isolate the DI transducer from the Terrova.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    You might look a Precision Sonar's Cable guard. Pricy but effective. https://www.precisionsonar.com/produ...or-accessories
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I’ve looked at all the options you’ve mentioned and while they may be functional, they’re definitely not pretty. The additional bracket (lower) and coiled hose of both units is just another place for weeds & grass to get hung on.

5. Member
    I ran the transducer cable down the notch in the shaft, like others have done (<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dI80p5vU48>). Very easy. So far so good.

The only thing I did different was to use black silicone so it blends in. I made sure the line was straight down the middle (not wavy like the video). I also used black Velcro strips at the ends, thinking that may reduce chance of wear. I will try to get pics this weekend.

6. Member
    The newer Terrova's have a lift assist in that channel. The Di an SI built in's are the way to go now. Same quality transducer components as the transom mounts. No wire hanging on the outside. Only downside is your sonar needs to be 2018 or newer.(di and si +)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The newer Terrova's have a lift assist in that channel. The Di an SI built in's are the way to go now. Same quality transducer components as the transom mounts. No wire hanging on the outside. Only downside is your sonar needs to be 2018 or newer.(di and si +)
    Thanks - at one point I meant to qualify that this was on an older unit, and I did not know if it was the same on the newer, but I forgot to add that. Hopefully it is useful down the road for someone with an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Doesn’t this only work with Humminbird DI & SI?

9. Member
    That is correct.

My new equipment is Garmin.

11. Member
    I have same problem, and I'm going to go with one of the standoff mounts.
    It's a real headache. This is the ONLY thing I don't love about my ST motor.

12. Member
    Didn't notice that. Go to plan B. Bob

13. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    I used the coiled cable method; zero issues

similar:

14. Member
    When I decided on what to do I paid close attention to how much twist and pull there was on the transducer cable. Seemed to me the ones with the coiled cable with standoffs were the most gentile with the cable. The ones that end up getting wrapped around the shaft did more twisting and untwisting. The routings I have seen without the tubing are at risk of getting caught and pinched. I did see one with a spring to take up slack that seemed to work but wonder about how it will continue over time. Whatever plan B turns out to be, look it over on the trailer and make sure you check the extremes of rotation in both directions as well as stowing and deploying. Good Luck. Bob

I’m still hoping that Plan B will be the ability to run the transducer cable from my Garmin TM mounted transducer into the motor housing and through the inside of the shaft. I’ve PM’d a couple of the trolling motor gurus and email two places that specialize in trolling motor repairs. Maybe they can tell me if it’s possible or not. I’ll report back when I hear something.

16. Member
    For what it's worth, I HAVE seen guys do it.
    They cut the transducer cable at desired length, drill a hole near the bottom, feed it up the shaft into the head area, and then out the bottom. Silicone the bottom hole, and grommet the top.

Then they add a 7-pin waterproof plug connector or just splice the end of the cable back on.
    If I recall, it was on Crappie.com.

Now that I think about it, that's EXACTLY what I'm going to do. For some reason, I didn't remember this until just now. Getting cobwebs in my brain.

I think the trick was finding a good connector. I'm going to go do a search. I'll report back.
    Last edited by thilltony; 10-29-2020 at 06:16 PM.

17. Member
    Okay... Here is the type of connector, if I recall right:
    https://www.amazon.com/HangTon-Disco...dp/B07J5XL8VJ/

What is cool, is the female side mounts flush into the head of the TM, so you can unplug and take the TM indoors for storage, without having a long cable to deal with.

The more I thought about it, the more I wondered why I didn't do this years ago? But then I remembered that I used to swap units and boats and TM's, often, and I didn't want to make any particular 'ducer "permanent" to that trolling motor.

That being said, I've settled down, and that shouldn't be an issue. And if I do more of an inline connector plug, then it can be much more easily removed.

Let me see if I can find the original post where they did the drill method....

18. Member
    I found one well-written write up, but it doesn't have pictures.
    https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/f...e-help.534571/

Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    I found one well-written write up, but it doesn't have pictures.
    https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/f...e-help.534571/
    Interesting that he drilled into the shaft, instead of the motor housing.

Lightbulb

I used this as inspiration for my mounting. I have a panoptix and si transducer on my Terrova with lift assist. Been using it like this for 2 seasons with no issues. From what I've seen it's the easiest, cheapest, and cleanest looking install option available. Give it a try for the price of a rod sock and your time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast