HDS Gen 3 freezing???

Does anyone out there on the face of the planet know how to make the side imaging on my gen 3 stop locking up and freezing? I have backed the ping speed down, tried the latest update for it, deleted all the trails, soft reset....IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! Come off pad to scan a brush pile and it will freeze up, work for one second then lock up. No rhyme or reason.....maybe go back to an older software version?

2. Member
    Does your 2D freeze also?

What SS xducer you running and what units are networked? Check voltage as well. I know there was an issue with screen freezing when using US2 sonar on minn kota. The only fix was reto back to 7.0 software.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12, HDS Pro 10 with AT 1, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

If you are running 18.2, you need to revert back to 7.0

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingwood 520 View Post
    If you are running 18.2, you need to revert back to 7.0
    This.
    If you can't find it, I have and can send to you.
    HDS_Gen3-7.0-59.1.86-Standard-1.upd

If you decide to back up to the 7.0 update you can download it from my cloud drive here:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...Uv5My0EtXyPj8Z

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Thank you guys....I'm running the 18.2. That may be the issue....If my memory serves me, I feel like it may have started when the "fish reveal" update came out. It has to be a software issue. Ill try the 7.0

8. Member
    There are specific instructions to going backward with software versions. I'm unsure of the steps, just do a search and follow the instructions.

9. Member
    Mine was freezing after I updated to the 18.2. I reverted it back to the 7.0 update that I got from Bill and it has been working perfectly since.

Mine freezes on 18.2. Thanks Lowrance for dropping a bugged update and bailing on your customers.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

11. Member
    Yes, Lowrance has a batch or ten with Gen 3s that can not handle 18.2. If your unit is one of those, go back to 7.0 and live happily ever after. (No, you wil not get that confirmed from 1.-line support, you will have to take my word for it.)

18.2 does push the Gen 3 to its limits. On units that can handle 18.2 keep this in mind:
    - Do a hard reset after the update. Save waypoints (NOT settings on this one) and do the hard reset. (Not a soft reset, not restore defaults, do a hard reset.)
    - 18.2 closes the door on ethernet with older units and modules. If your Gen 3 is on 18.2, you need all other units or modules in the ethernet to be on 18.2 or higher software. So you can not keep your LSS-1 module or your HDS Gen 2 Touch or older units in ethernet with a Gen 3 once the Gen 3 is updated to 18.2. If you want ethernet with older modules or units, stick to 7.0 on the Gen 3.
    - Since 18.2 is tough on the Gen 3, you will get more issues with 18.2 then 7.0 if your install is a bad one. Make sure you have good voltage to the unit, and the best way to check that is to bring up input-voltage as a screen-overlay on your unit. A fully charged lead-based battery and nothing else on in the boat, and you should see 12,4-12,7V on your units overlay.

If all of the above checks out as OK, and you still have issues, revert to 7.0. Download the 7.0-update to a memorycard, and run it as a "new" update just like you are used to. You can also start the 7.0-update manually, go to Files/ Storage-Memorycard, press on the update and start it.