Lowrance Ghost on Cougar/Puma?

Anyone mounted a Ghost on a Cougar/Puma?

Thinking of pulling my Ultrex and putting one on my 2016 Cougar. Just want to know if I should expect any problems.
    2023 Puma STS

A buddy of mine just did this today on a 2016 Cougar. No issues at all.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Anyone mounted a Ghost on a Cougar/Puma?

Thinking of pulling my Ultrex and putting one on my 2016 Cougar. Just want to know if I should expect any problems.
    I’ve considered the same as I run Lowrance. I just can’t justify getting rid of a perfectly good TM and buying a new one with really gaining much
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I’ve considered the same as I run Lowrance. I just can’t justify getting rid of a perfectly good TM and buying a new one with really gaining much
    If you have a Foretrex or other non-spotlock TM then it is worth the upgrade in spades. If you have an Ultrex, I would wait.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    If you have a Foretrex or other non-spotlock TM then it is worth the upgrade in spades. If you have an Ultrex, I would wait.
    Wait for what?

The Ultrex isn’t a bad trolling motor, but geez they are loud. I’m happy to try out the Ghost if I can get rid of the constant noise every time the Ultrex turns.
    2023 Puma STS

Wait for the Ultrex to take a dump.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

I have a Fortrex that’s still in really nice shape and I’ve been thinking about the ghost, also. I’ll be retiring in the next 5 years and wondering if I should wait for some refinements or see what else comes out before I can use my boat all the time!
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    I have a Fortrex that’s still in really nice shape and I’ve been thinking about the ghost, also. I’ll be retiring in the next 5 years and wondering if I should wait for some refinements or see what else comes out before I can use my boat all the time!
    since you have a forex. Consider getting the Ultrex. Forex will fit I. The mount if you ever have issues.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Member
    I have a 2016 Puma with a Fortrex as well, and the Ghost intrigues me due to the fact it's brushless.

10. Member
    Upgraded mine to ghost. It’s best upgrade done in my boat to date. Quiet, efficient and power all day. Using on 36V setting.

11. Member
    I wound up putting on a Ghost today. I only got to take it to the lake for about 10 minutes to make sure it ran, but I really liked it. Much quieter steering than the Ultrex. That alone is worth the upgrade to me.

Other things I liked better:

Cable management. The Ghost has two clips on the side of the mount to hold the cables out of the way.

Lift/Deploy assist. Much better than the Ultrex. It's very easy to deploy and pull up out of the water.

When you pull it out of the water, it automatically aligns itself. You don't have to step on the pedal and turn the head a certain way.

Only time will tell how it lasts.
    2023 Puma STS

Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I wound up putting on a Ghost today. I only got to take it to the lake for about 10 minutes to make sure it ran, but I really liked it. Much quieter steering than the Ultrex. That alone is worth the upgrade to me.

Other things I liked better:

Cable management. The Ghost has two clips on the side of the mount to hold the cables out of the way.

Lift/Deploy assist. Much better than the Ultrex. It's very easy to deploy and pull up out of the water.

When you pull it out of the water, it automatically aligns itself. You don't have to step on the pedal and turn the head a certain way.

Only time will tell how it lasts.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

13. Member
    I have a 13 Cougar and went with the Ghost. Did this about three months ago. It was pretty easy to install. HUGE upgrade going from Fortrex to Ghost. I was so hesitant because of the money but wow is anchor lock a huge difference. I have a buddy that has an Ultrex and the Ghost(as mentioned above) is much quieter, brushless , and the cable system is much better. Very happy so far. Wish I would have done it sooner. Now I just need 5k worth of new graphs and I’ll be able to catch them. Lol