Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    So you mean the crankcase for cylinder one was filled with gasoline? Only heard of (overfilled) external oil tanks filling the crankcase with oil via vacuum line.

Your theory would mean that the injection valve was stuck open, piston as you wrote in tdc, ignition on for a long time, high pressure pumps working, too, and gasoline pushed with ~110 psi into combustion chamber of cylinder #1 and then alongside the piston filling the crankcase, too, but without moving the piston itself down?
    Optimax 90 - 2B019339 (2014), Quicksilver 580 Pilothouse (2006)

2. Member
    Mechanic is pretty sure cylinder 1 was full of gas. Crankcase? I dont know?

Its is possible I left the key in the on position..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    One other thing: There is no fault for "injector stuck open". The PCM can only monitor the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT, and thus has one fault to indicate a SHORT CIRCUIT, and another fault that indicates an OPEN circuit.

While it is possible that the cylinder fluid locked, it's not likely it happened exactly like that.
    The fault says " Fuel Injector1 Open" at 822.7 hours. This would be the time that the seize happened

At the same time I had a "Driver power Low" error

At 822.2 I had a "Gaurdian Strategy"

When I had it running for a short rip last fall before I took it in I got a "Oil Level Sensor Input High" at 823.1 hours.

Mechanic put it back in break in, today was the first day I have at ran it since. Still runs a little crappy below 3000 rpm, and seems I cant get to full throttle with out blwoing past my RPM's. Mind you I didnt have much load in the boat and noticed last year I had a bit of throttle left to play with. Old aluminum prop that has maybe flexed over time? Goona go up from a 17p to a 19p and see what happens
    Last edited by Lunger50; 05-03-2021 at 02:45 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfb6 View Post
    So you mean the crankcase for cylinder one was filled with gasoline? Only heard of (overfilled) external oil tanks filling the crankcase with oil via vacuum line.

Your theory would mean that the injection valve was stuck open, piston as you wrote in tdc, ignition on for a long time, high pressure pumps working, too, and gasoline pushed with ~110 psi into combustion chamber of cylinder #1 and then alongside the piston filling the crankcase, too, but without moving the piston itself down?
    not possible
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Lunger50 View Post
    Hey, can you explain why? Earlier last year I had to replace that flywheel. Only way to get it offwas with a puller and 1200lb impact, with some hammering aswell
    An impact wrench is delivering a hammering force 50 times a second or more, this force is extreme, it is transmitting all this force thru the crank directly to the delicate needle bearings, quite often breaking them or at the very least it is hammering the needle bearing into the crank journal leaving a very uneven surface causing severe damage, This is even more destructive than running over advanced timing
    Based on you own comments this could be why the motor was locked with the plugs out, you may find out very soon
    If it was my motor it would be torn down for inspection NOW
    It absolutely is not the only way to remove it, if you can get the nut off with an impact wrench I sure get it off with the proper breaker bar, there is always a way to lock the flywheel in place while removing the nut
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunger50
    The fault says " Fuel Injector1 Open" at 822.7 hours. This would be the time that the seize happened

At the same time I had a "Driver power Low" error

At 822.2 I had a "Gaurdian Strategy"
    Fuel Injector was an OPEN CIRCUIT (not the position of the injector). As in it was unplugged, had a poor connection, or a broken wire in the harness.

Driver power low is usually a result of:

-Low BATTERY voltage

(or)

-A short circuit in a 5V Sensor or circuit.

Either above fault can cause GUARDIAN (a look through the data items for the Guardian fault will help to determine which caused it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123