Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I'm the only "someone" who puts oil in it. So unless that tank is leaking thats not my issue. Unless water has found some other way into the block

Days of lubricating the cylinders with fogging oil and Opti Oil and I still cant get that flywheel to budge. Even with an impact gun on it.

The motor had been a little difficult to get into reverse sometimes. Would really have to lean on the shifter to get it to. Put the lower unit back on yesterday. Put it in forward, could spin the prop by hand (ratcheting), neutral it spins freely. Put in reverse (with some effort) prop wont budge by hand...

I don't know what the heck is going on here but things just don't add up.

I guess its into a shop next week, not sure of anything else I could try. I just have this sneaking suspicion it might be something rather simple I am overlooking. If it is, I'm not sure I will get that answer from a shop.
    Last edited by Lunger50; 11-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.

2. Member
    I'm the only "someone" who puts oil in it. So unless that tank is leaking thats not my issue. Unless water has found some other way into the block/crank

Days of lubricating the cylinders with fogging oil and Opti Oil and I still cant get that flywheel to budge. Even with an impact gun on it.

The motor had been a little difficult to get into reverse some times. Would really have to lean on the shifter to get it to go. Put the lower unit back on yesterday. Put it in forward, could spin the prop by hand (ratcheting), neutral it spins freely. Put in reverse (with some effort) prop wont budge by hand...

I don't know what the heck is going on here but things just don't add up.

I guess its into a shop, not sure of anything else I could try. I just have this sneaking suspicion it might be something rather simple I am overlooking. If it is, I'm not sure I will get that answer from a shop.
    Last edited by Lunger50; 11-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.

3. Member
    IMO, if you can't spin it with lower unit removed and, all belts removed and all spark plugs removed and, ensuring the starter is not engaged with the flywheel, my next move would be to pull the heads and get a direct look at the pistons and cylinder walls.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addict View Post
    IMO, if you can't spin it with lower unit removed and, all belts removed and all spark plugs removed and, ensuring the starter is not engaged with the flywheel, my next move would be to pull the heads and get a direct look at the pistons and cylinder walls.
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Afaik 3-cyl Optimax doesn't have separate head. Pistons to be removed from crankcase side.
    Optimax 90 - 2B019339 (2014), Quicksilver 580 Pilothouse (2006)

6. Member
    Yeah all that may be getting a little over my head. Ugh

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfb6 View Post
    Afaik 3-cyl Optimax doesn't have separate head. Pistons to be removed from crankcase side.
    Missed that one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    This just gets better and better...

Tried again last weekend. TOWED it to a buddies place who has some better tools. Still couldn't see much on his inspection camera. Tried spinning the wheel with an electric impact gun. Nothing, wont budge. Put the lower unit back on and gave up, resigned to it having to go to a shop

Went up to the boat today (I keep it an hour from where I live), with the sole intent of taking everything out of it, putting the cover on and taking it to the shop. Just for spits and giggles, right before a put the cover on i said "what the heck, turn the key once more and see what happens". Weel F#$% IT SPUN. Are you freaking kidding me! Put on a frech battery as this one was dead from trying a few times over the past few weeks. Started in the driveway.

Dropped it in the water, fired it up, let it idle for a good 5 -10 minutes to burn of all the oil. Took it for a spin. At first there was quite a bit of a rattle to it once I started to give it more throttle (piston slap maybe?) Eased the throttle up and down a bit, rattle every time i got around 3000rpm. Finally just gave it a good shot of throttle. Rattling disappears and boat runs fine at WOT for a good 10 minutes. And idles down without issue or noise.

Did a compression test when I go back to the launch, All plugs out, coils disconnected, and throttle at WO. 100 on cylinder 1, 130 on the other two. I know that's a bit of an issue. How much of an issue is it?

So riddle me this. The only thing that had been done different....I trailered the boat. What. The. !!!!

Its at the shop regardless for a look over.
    Last edited by Lunger50; 11-14-2020 at 04:56 PM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Focus scope inspection on #1 cylinder. That's likely where the problem began.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Was there any solution to this story??

11. Member
    +1 report back with cause of seizeing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    There was a solution actually....

So, the last time it ran in the fall before this seize happened. I had added Seafoam to the tank. Motor was running like crap below 3000 rpm.

as I had said finished the day and drove it on the trailer. It was cold and overnight temps that night and week were going to be below freezing. So like I always have, when I pull it out of the water I start the engine up quickly a couple times to help push any water out of it. The next weekend it was seized...

As noted, worked on over the course of a few weeks with on luck, then the day I was taking it to the shop, out of the blue it started and I took it for spin.

The mechanic hooked up to the PC, there is a fault of injector 1 stuck open. So this explains it. Because that piston was stopped TCD i could get a scope in to see that it was full of gas. And though the gas may of been slowly finding its way out tof the cylinder, I was continually adding oil in hopes to unstuck what was stuck.... So just replacing any gas that had found its way out.

In the course of all the dicking around with it and the trailering, some how the gas founds its way out. Hence it started out of the blue.

So I am pretty confident, the Seafoam that day, loosened up a bunch of crud, some got stuck in the injector holding it open while I was doing that whole start stop on the trailer to purge any water.

Though I do have low compression on cylinder one, I think that is unrelated to this issue. Since the motor wasn't running when the cylinder filled with gas I am pretty sure I haven't bent any rods and caused any major damage.

Do not ever put an impact wrench on the flywheel of a needle bearing motor, do not be surprised if you have rod/ crank failure in the near futures
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One other thing: There is no fault for "injector stuck open". The PCM can only monitor the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT, and thus has one fault to indicate a SHORT CIRCUIT, and another fault that indicates an OPEN circuit.

While it is possible that the cylinder fluid locked, it's not likely it happened exactly like that.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Run play the lottery and share the proceeds with our gurus: Don, Joe, and Silverfox!! LOL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunger50 View Post
    There was a solution actually....
    The mechanic hooked up to the PC, there is a fault of injector 1 stuck open. So this explains it. Because that piston was stopped TCD i could get a scope in to see that it was full of gas. And though the gas may of been slowly finding its way out tof the cylinder, I was continually adding oil in hopes to unstuck what was stuck.... So just replacing any gas that had found its way out.

In the course of all the dicking around with it and the trailering, some how the gas founds its way out. Hence it started out of the blue.
    Interesting theory. But didn't you write:
    Plugs out, won't spin. .....
    and
    ...... I cant get the flywheel to budge even a millimeter in either direction,....
    In case of a fluid lock on one cylinder you'd be able to spin the crankshaft backwards and in case of removing the spark plug the lock should diappear immediately....
    Optimax 90 - 2B019339 (2014), Quicksilver 580 Pilothouse (2006)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Do not ever put an impact wrench on the flywheel of a needle bearing motor, do not be surprised if you have rod/ crank failure in the near futures
    Hey, can you explain why? Earlier last year I had to replace that flywheel. Only way to get it offwas with a puller and 1200lb impact, with some hammering aswell
    Last edited by Lunger50; 05-01-2021 at 10:26 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    One other thing: There is no fault for "injector stuck open". The PCM can only monitor the ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT, and thus has one fault to indicate a SHORT CIRCUIT, and another fault that indicates an OPEN circuit.

While it is possible that the cylinder fluid locked, it's not likely it happened exactly like that.
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure the report actually said "Fuel injector open" will check tmrw.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Run play the lottery and share the proceeds with our gurus: Don, Joe, and Silverfox!! LOL
    I'm not sure what your getting at here?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfb6 View Post
    Interesting theory. But didn't you write: and

In case of a fluid lock on one cylinder you'd be able to spin the crankshaft backwards and in case of removing the spark plug the lock should diappear immediately....
    I did write all that. Even had the foot off and plugs out. Still no dice. It was cylinder one and it was stuck TDC. So even with the plug out, all the gas behind the piston head, there was no where for that piston to go but down. I couldn't turn it backwards because that piston was already at the top of its stroke. That make sense?

Really the only thing I can see it being is that scenario, since it happened while the motor was not running. No idea what else it possiblycould of been.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast