Original Carpet Weight for 2000 Procraft 200 Super Pro???

A friend in my bass club is wanting to replace the carpet in his Procraft and I'm unsure what weight was original. If anyone knows or could pass along the correct folks to contact I'd be very appreciative!

TIA!
    Dan Mc.

Why does he wanna know the correct weight. I would think 18-20 oz would be fine as far as lids go. If I had to guess though...I’d think 18 oz.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    20oz.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

4. Member
    20 oz works in those boats, could have been 16, don't know of anyone making 18.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    20oz carpet was used. Syntec carpet offers various weights in carpet. With that said the boating industry dictates what ounce carpet syntec manufactures under their name. Per my conversation with Syntec they sell 16 and 24 oz carpet weights. They are not manufacturing/selling 20 oz carpet at this time.
    Here is some information that explains carpet weignts, density and quality,

https://www.thespruce.com/carpet-face-weight-2908858

Another thing I have found with boat carpets is that even though it says 20 ounces it is not. You can notice their process when shearing the carpet, the ends of the carpet fibers are twisted and gives the appearance that it has good density. If anyone is considering carpet for their boat ask for samples. Companies will be happy to send you some. Here is where it is hard to see the density in a small sample. Typically they will send a 2" x 2" sample. Appearance wise it looks nice, now bend the carpet and you will see more of the rubber backing. This is what your end result will be, thin density and the rubber backing will be more visible on 90 degree bends like decks and compartment doors. Another thing, the thinner density will cause pre-mature wear more noticeably around the deck at livewell doors, cockpit seating areas, and front deck near rod and bait compartment doors.

If you can use the Syntec 24oz carpet that is better and will require shaving the well doors on some boats. If not get the 16oz carpet. Request samples of the Syntec carpet from Ranger. Now compare the 16oz Syntec carpet with the free shipped 20oz carpets on the internet. Bend both Syntec and the shipped free carpets and you will see the difference. I
    Have had many customers use non Syntec carpet and it does not hold long term. Typically cost from Basscat and Ranger is still cheaper per a yard than the free shipped 20oz carpets.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    I have the same boat. This is where I got my carpet and I used the 20oz and the glue they sell.

https://www.bassboatseats.com/collec...ss-boat-carpet
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

I don't agree with having to shave the compartments. I installed new carpet in my Triton last spring of this year. I used 24 oz Syntec from Ranger. One thing I learned, as I did one compartment lid at a time, was to pull the carpet very tight on the lips of the lid. Then they had to be clamped very tight in that position to dry. I used Dap Wildwood contact cement, which dries rather quickly. Doing it this way, I have no problems with the compartments being hard to open. Now that's just my experience from doing it this way, yours may vary. If you just rolled the carpet over with your hand, it won't work.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I don't agree with having to shave the compartments. I installed new carpet in my Triton last spring of this year. I used 24 oz Syntec from Ranger. One thing I learned, as I did one compartment lid at a time, was to pull the carpet very tight on the lips of the lid. Then they had to be clamped very tight in that position to dry. I used Dap Wildwood contact cement, which dries rather quickly. Doing it this way, I have no problems with the compartments being hard to open. Now that's just my experience from doing it this way, yours may vary. If you just rolled the carpet over with your hand, it won't work.
    clamping does compress the material some , but keep in mind that not all boats have the same spacing between hatches , and most boats will have slight variances in some areas. Bet that 24 oz is cozy!! Love to see it over some pad sometime.. be a great place to sleep if one were “ in the doghouse “ .. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    clamping does compress the material some , but keep in mind that not all boats have the same spacing between hatches , and most boats will have slight variances in some areas. Bet that 24 oz is cozy!! Love to see it over some pad sometime.. be a great place to sleep if one were “ in the doghouse “ .. lol
    Absolutely, the lids would/could be different thickness of various boats. I am in no way a carpet expert, fact is, not even close. I simply got mine right after a few failures doing it. As I said I used Weldwood ( red can ) and it does dry quickly but it does give you a minute or so to set the carpet right. On the lids, I put the padding to the square of the lid, not overlapping the sides, of course. Let that dry. Put the Weldwood on the top of the padding, put glue on the carpet. Laid carpet, Let that dry. Put glue on the outside of one side of the lid, pulled tight, clamped & let dry. Each side I did separately. not all 4 sides at one time. An important factor is the corners. They cannot be bulky on the corners. Nothing can be over laid to create a bulk, if that makes sense. To me, the corners have to be cut perfect. This is a time consuming job on the lids & most guys are too impatient to do it that way. I did mine when I had plenty of time to do it & knew I wouldn't be using it for months or even that year. My boat has been in the water 5 times in 2 years due to medical problems. So I did mine in between this days when I could do it which were few. But yes the padding. I did the complete front deck & the complete rear deck. If you ever put padding down, you won't believe the difference. I'm old now, it's harder to get up and down like I used to. The old carpet would just kill my knees changing baits. Now it is a whole lot different. Boats ought to come this way standard. Yeah, you're right, it would be a good place to sleep.............