Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    i found youtube to be great for drywall tips.

2. Member
    Call a professional, i have tried many times to repair drywall, i suck at it really bad.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

3. Member
    Scrape off those caulk ridges with a taping knife. Seal the brown paper with shellac (original BIN primer) - it will dry in an hour and you can get this done before game time. Two choices of compound: premix joint compound = "regular mud" or EZ Sand = "hot mud". The first coat of regular mud will take nearly all day to dry with a fan on it. EZ Sand (get the 20 minute product if you're fast and fearless) will set up quickly, and allow successive coats to be completed within the hour. Products like plaster of paris or Durabond are nearly impossible to sand out. First coat (with a 12" or wider knife or flat trowel) - cover everything completely with the thinnest coat possible. Next coat(s) - scrape off any ridges and apply the thinnest coat that bridges the high areas of the preceding coat, feathering out to zero thickness at the perimeter. Use a cushion-backed sanding block to sand the dry repair.

4. Member
    Just show up to the paint store when they open. They’ll be a half drunk from the night before painter who rolls in. They are pretty easy to spot. Just offer him a case of his favorite brew or a bag of pot. Affordable for a man on a fixed income. Insurance? Man, your asking to many questions! Trust me, he will get you taken care of. Now if you want really straight lines, go ahead and give him that case before he starts. Bout the time that shellac kicks in, his hands won’t be shaking so much anymore. Then give him a referral on BBC when he’s finished!

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by dontr20x View Post
    i found youtube to be great for drywall tips.
    The "Vancouver Carpenter" has some good, including a repair like this, drywall videos.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Shellac works well after you scrape off all of the loose paper. Then skim with mud and sand....

7. Member
    Shellac works well after you scrape off all of the loose paper. Then skim with mud and sand....

The original cheap drunk. When I was a greenhorn they sent me to varnish some shelving in an enclosed area. Gave me shellac for the sanding sealer. Spent an hour in there and then an hour outside sobering up. Finished up and went to another job. Parked my vehicle and was still walking drunk.

8. Member
    I would take a razor knife and straight edge score the paper all the way around the area about 1 1/2" above where the paper is ripping then scrape the paper this gives it a stopping point then prime and mud with a 12" knife. Good luck and dont play with the mud make thin pass if it has ridges so what take a the knife knock them down and reply mud until you have it the way you want it last coat you can always take a wet sponge and rub the uneven places smooth.

9. Member
    Is Shellac to seal it so the mud will stick and dry properly? I usually just cut out drywall when the paper is ripped that bad. Seems like it is faster and turns out better then messing with it.
    Semper Fi

A heavy coat of shellac will soak into the paper and when it dries, it prevents blisters. Making it ready to mud. If you only use mud, you will fight blisters coat after coat.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    A heavy coat of shellac will soak into the paper and when it dries, it prevents blisters. Making it ready to mud. If you only use mud, you will fight blisters coat after coat.
    thanks
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    The bad advise on here never ceases to amaze me. Now do what 21XDC said to repair the wall
    Definitely advise getting good advice

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Shellac was originally made from beetles.
    John Paul George or Ringo?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    None of them clowns This beetle comes from India, Lac. Although you might be able to make shellac if you cooked Ringo down

15. Member
    IIRC, pay a pro for his expertise, not how fast he says he can do it.

Good rate of pay, per BBC, is $150/hr. Expect this project to take a professional somewhere in the 12-20hr range.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    You're thinking of Beatles, not beetles. See, spelling matters.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

I have a roll of 3' wide mesh for repairs like that. Cover over the whole area where the vanity was with the mesh then skim coat. Never had a problem with any of my repairs.
    It's also good to keep a roll around for larger repairs where instead of 4 pieces of tape on the seams you cover the whole patch. Small repairs I california patch them.

In the end there is no right or wrong in how the repair is done as long as the finish product looks like there was never a repair.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12