Where to launch in the Potomac?

Military and stationed here (live in Fairfax area) and about to pick my boat up this week. Wanted to fish Potomac or anywhere there are bass! Looking for good places to launch and fish, thanks for any help. After reading in the forum a little concerned with tides and lower unit. _ Derrick

2. Member
    Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County, there are two ramps which can each launch 2 or more boats at once, floating docks on the outside of the ramps make it easy to tie up your boat no matter what tide level. The concrete ramp slabs also extend quite a way into the water which is important during low tide. Two huge parking lots, I'm guessing around 150 to 200 truck/trailer spots.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsession18 View Post
    Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County, there are two ramps which can each launch 2 or more boats at once, floating docks on the outside of the ramps make it easy to tie up your boat no matter what tide level. The concrete ramp slabs also extend quite a way into the water which is important during low tide. Two huge parking lots, I'm guessing around 150 to 200 truck/trailer spots.
    Thanks, that maybe my first trip. Good info

4. Member
    Do not fish the Potomac without a good GPS. There are places that look great with boulders big as cars, and some places like FoxFerry that are lined with snapped off lower units. The river is huge but most of it is really shallow especially by the Willy Woodson Bridge.

5. Member
    Get a Potamac River map made by GMCO. Worth every penny.
    Welcome to the area.
    Tight lines!

6. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Leesylvania would be my first choice but Pohick is probably closer for you. I can give you a lot of info if your willing to get in touch with me via email. I have a home in the area and no longer fish the river because I am retired and now live on Kerr Res. and fish it regularly. I will be glad to help with info to get you well on your way.

7. Member
    If it's windy and rough, drive a little further south on 95 and head to Hope Springs marina. You can stay in Aqiua Creek all day and not get too beat up. Plenty of stuff to fish within the creek. https://hopespringsmarina.com/

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt651 View Post
    If it's windy and rough, drive a little further south on 95 and head to Hope Springs marina. You can stay in Aqiua Creek all day and not get too beat up. Plenty of stuff to fish within the creek. https://hopespringsmarina.com/
    Thanks, good info, looked at that on the map and that make sense.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
    Welcome to the area.
    Thanks will do right now.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
    Welcome to the area.
    A map is very nice, but on the Potomac, a newbie without a GPS will probably get lost. If you go a couple of miles, from the water, if you've never been there, much of the shoreline, buildings, marinas will all look the same. A map will not tell you where you are, it will only if you know where on that map you are at that the time.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't get a map, but it's only part of the puzzle.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    A map is very nice, but on the Potomac, a newbie without a GPS will probably get lost. If you go a couple of miles, from the water, if you've never been there, much of the shoreline, buildings, marinas will all look the same. A map will not tell you where you are, it will only if you know where on that map you are at that the time.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't get a map, but it's only part of the puzzle.
    Tracking all, thanks and good info. I will have GPS and charts too.

12. Member
    20 years ago when I first ventured onto the river I use the GMCO map and referenced the buoy markers to tell me where I was

13. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by badfish7694 View Post
    Military and stationed here (live in Fairfax area) and about to pick my boat up this week. Wanted to fish Potomac or anywhere there are bass! Looking for good places to launch and fish, thanks for any help. After reading in the forum a little concerned with tides and lower unit. _ Derrick
    Derrick, I received your message and you will have email in bound.

14. Member
    Maps worked pretty well for hundreds of years.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC