Mercury two stroke 50hp hard to start on lake

Hi guys, I have a 02 Mercury 50hp two stroke that has a fresh fuel system rebuild and tune up. Most of the time it fires up and runs great. But every once in awhile I will try to start it out in the lake and it just cranks. I ended up pressing the bulb to give it some fuel and then I think it flooded because gas was coming out of the exhaust hole. I used the trolling motor to get it back in and then by the time it got it home it fired back up again fine.

is this normal? Am I doing something wrong on the lake? I am just afraid to get far away and then have it not fire up again.

Thanks

Bill

2. Member
    If it is a carb engine,you might have a needle in a carb that isn’t sealing well. Most carbed engines will start better if they are trimmed level.

3. Member
    Ok. It is a carb and I just had it tuned by a boat mechanic. It really only didn’t start once. All the other times it cranked for a little while. The other times I did hit the bulb a little bit.

This one time could I Have hit the bulb A little too much? Do you guys need to hit the bulb if it’s sitting for 20 min on the water in between. Fishing spots?

Im just trying to figure out what to do for next time this happens.