Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Tin vs Used Glass

Would you pick a new tin boat (xpress x19 specifically) or a comparatively priced used glass boat. (Phoenix 819-919, Bass Cat Puma/Cougar or Ranger 520)? I’ll be fishing Lake Lanier exclusively (chestatee side and the Hooch mainly for those familiar with the lake). Both options have pros and cons to me. Of course, who wouldn’t want a new boat, but is the xpress going to beat me to death? I have cervival problems in my neck. I’ve been fishing out of a larger CC. It sucks for fishing but it’s good on the body.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.

2. Banned
    If you gonna stay in that lower horse power range then I'd say an aluminum boat is the way to go (75-115). These boat manufacturers are hanging larger motors on these tin boats, however, not beefing up the boat hence the crack welds that have been popping up. Me personally, I feel a pad hull should be left for glass rigs, there's a reason they have been tried and true for so many decades. There are a few exceptions though, express seems to beef up the thickness of the aluminum and Lund basically has a walleye hull with bass boat top cap. The only aluminum bass boat I would personally go with is the pro v bass. But that's me...

Tough call, I've had an Xpress X19 and thought it was a great boat. Buying new would be awesome! But it does move around in the wind a little more, so if by used glass you're looking at something only 1 or 2 years old, very well taken care of and with a 4 Stroke outboard it would be a good choice also. I'd probably lean towards the glass boats, not that the Xpress rides bad but I would imagine a 20" glass boat would ride a little better. But I haven't been in one to give you a comparison.

I just went through this same process. In my case price wasn't an issue. I wanted my next boat to fit in my garage. I wanted a quality boat that would last a long while and easy to move around. I went with a 2021 Vexus 1880. Its really a 19ft boat. The ride is a cross between glass and tin. Fit and finish is great. The 115 Mercury Pro XS runs like a sewing machine. If I were going glass in this same size it would have been the Phoenix.
    I came out of a Skeeter ZX 200. So there is a learning curve involved.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 10-26-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Banned
    Depending on what you have fished out of before? Tin stay with tin glass stay with glass. I bought tin a few months ago and hate it. After 35+ years in glass this tin thing just dosen't work for me. Everytime I look at it i hope for the day I can get rid of it.

6. Banned
    You can't compare an X19 against a Bass Cat Cougar etc. But I love mine, ordered it new in 2001 and if I were to buy new today I would get another one, but it would be the X21
    I run mine on Oneida, St.lawrence river, Lake Ontario, Potomac river Delaware Bay among others. It's fast with an unmatched hole shot even with a 150 and it will take anything that you can dish out, absolute tank. It does blow around a bit though but not crazy bad. Ultrex will take care of that.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 10-26-2020 at 01:27 PM.

7. Member
    If you have a bad back or spine problems and fish big water go with the glass boat.

Depends on where/how you fish.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    My opinion: If you're asking the question, you really want a fancy glass boat.

BUY ONE !!

Better than wishing you had.

I'd add a Skeeter ZX 200 to that list. I've run one since 2002. Love them.

A little less money, maybe a little less boat, Nitro Z19. I see lots them on the tournament trail.

10. Banned
    Whats your top line budget?

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Depending on what you have fished out of before? Tin stay with tin glass stay with glass. I bought tin a few months ago and hate it. After 35+ years in glass this tin thing just dosen't work for me. Everytime I look at it i hope for the day I can get rid of it.

Didn’t you come out of a Charger?

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Didn’t you come out of a Charger?
    I've had two Chargers wish I waited and bought another one.

13. Member
    I came out of a Cougar to my current Ranger RT188, a good friend had a X19 for years. You can't really compare those two other than they are both bass boats. The Cougar is like a daggum Caddy on the water. Most any 20' glass boat is going to be a better bet on open water. I bought the tin boat for the ease of ownership. I don't fish enough to justify owning a boat, much less a big 20' glass boat. They are a lot more expensive on general maintenance. I can push my little 18' tin boat around in the garage, the little 115 4S sips fuel, it's real easy to do the normal routine stuff at home. I bought two new trailer tires, about a 100.00 because they are little 13" jobs. When I had the Cat I spent about 2,000 on routine maintenance getting the steel reeds replaced with fiber reeds, new trailer bunks, just general stuff. If that 225 Opti had gone down I was staring at at least a 9K bill to replace a powerhead, that list just goes on and on. Every glass 18'er I've owned rode better on a rough open lake like KY Lake than my RT188. My experience with aluminum bass boats is when it gets even a little rough you better grab some rain gear.

I've fished all over with my RT188, but it's not a big water boat like the Cougar was. To be honest, I really think a good glass 19 is about perfect. The big 20's are no where near as nimble running rough water. That friend with a bad back got rid of his Xpress and currently owns a Skeeter with a 200. He's back to fishing again instead of watching the weather and wind forecast.

14. Member
    Since you seem to like Basscat and you mentioned a 19fter...how about the Pantera? I bet with the new V8 Merc 200 it would be a Rocket. Maybe the Pantera Classic would work.

15. Member
    I'd prefer the PII because I've got time in one and know what it can do, that being said I'd want to compare it to a Classic before buying. The PII is a mid 70's boat without poles.

16. Member
    I went new tin with warranty but used glass with warranty would have worked also. I am not smart enough to repair a motor or rich enough to replace one.

17. Banned
    only way I would buy anything used if it is EXACT 100% how it came from the factory... one single mod and I am out. Hate having to work on something behind someone else that you have no idea what they did or didnt do.

18. Member
    New. New. ......New. I'm not buying someone elses trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I've had two Chargers wish I waited and bought another one.
    I was going to downsize last year, I didn’t and I don’t know if I will this upcoming year. I looked at the Aluminum bass boats, I even sent John a PM and asked about his RT 188. I need the comfort of a good riding/ handling boat

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    New. New. ......New. I'm not buying someone elses trouble.
    I used to have that philosophy until fiberglass bass boats started rivaling the price of a small house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast