Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    With retirement planned in less than a year and hopefully moving to the lake , I downsized from a 20' Skeeter to a Ranger 198P . Lighter boat is easier for me to handle by myself and by living at lake can avoid bad weather by being able to pick days to fish . Happy with it so far .

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I was going to downsize last year, I didn’t and I don’t know if I will this upcoming year. I looked at the Aluminum bass boats, I even sent John a PM and asked about his RT 188. I need the comfort of a good riding/ handling boat
    All I can tell you us look anywhere but a BPS product. Far as I can tell they all set nose high and catch wind. Drives me crazy I have to stay on my trolling motor. With the nose so high the back set low just ordered a back flow preventer because the bilge pump drain is under water if you step to the passenger side of the boat.

I've owned 2 Chargers, Basscat, Swift, and Ranger. Tournament fished and friend fished enough I've been in almost all brands made. This Tracker is the only boat that i can't load stright on the trailer. Glad it's light 8 out of 10 times I have to shove it over on the trailer. Been told to add another set of belly boards but, I'm to damn stubborn to do that on a new boat. I'll sale it before I do that.

By the time you up grade the motor, electronics, and trolling motor it might be worth fishing out of i just don't like it.

Have had 2 Xpress 19's. Excellent quality, best aluminum rig on the water. Pretty low profile, doesn't blow around badly, great performance, tows great. Has good hull design and excellent width, no tippy for an aluminum. Moved on to a Bass Cat Eyra, now a 2020 521L Ranger. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. If you have spinal issues I would consider a Deep V over a pad type hull. A pad type hull-- aluminum or fiberglass takes a beating if rough water.
    Everybody wishes to say how good their fiberglass boat rides, bring it to the Lake of the Ozarks and you will pee blood.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Recently, I decided it was time to down size to something easier to tow, handle by myself, and, ride more comfortably. Something easy to move around in that wouldn't aggravate my back and knees and be affordable. That led me to look at the deep v aluminum boats on the market. Lund, Crestliner, Ranger, etc., offered many good choices. I think any of the major manufacturers models would have made me happy.

Since I've been using my new boat, I've been impressed and surprised at how well it meets my needs. At the top of the list is how well it takes chop and wakes. I just finished two days at Falls Lake where the large ski/wakeboard boats are as thick as fleas. Crossing their wakes and riding over the general chop was smooth and comfortable.

When I fish alone and have moderate/+ wind, it does tend to move a lot. However, when my grown son came along and fished on the aft deck, it tracked like on rails. I think I'll start filling the aft live well to mimic his weight when I'm by myself and see if it helps.

I'll admit I feel like a mini van driver when I'm idling at the launching ramp surrounded by all the big, beautiful, glass bass boats. That feeling goes away though once I plane off and start the days fishing.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    If you go to tin expect to be on the trolling motor a lot more if you are fishing offshore. GPS trolling motor is a must for the tin boat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Recently, I decided it was time to down size to something easier to tow, handle by myself, and, ride more comfortably. Something easy to move around in that wouldn't aggravate my back and knees and be affordable. That led me to look at the deep v aluminum boats on the market. Lund, Crestliner, Ranger, etc., offered many good choices. I think any of the major manufacturers models would have made me happy.

Since I've been using my new boat, I've been impressed and surprised at how well it meets my needs. At the top of the list is how well it takes chop and wakes. I just finished two days at Falls Lake where the large ski/wakeboard boats are as thick as fleas. Crossing their wakes and riding over the general chop was smooth and comfortable.

When I fish alone and have moderate/+ wind, it does tend to move a lot. However, when my grown son came along and fished on the aft deck, it tracked like on rails. I think I'll start filling the aft live well to mimic his weight when I'm by myself and see if it helps.

I'll admit I feel like a mini van driver when I'm idling at the launching ramp surrounded by all the big, beautiful, glass bass boats. That feeling goes away though once I plane off and start the days fishing.
    Honest post, looks like you have the perfect partner also.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthLanier View Post
    Would you pick a new tin boat ...................................... I have cervival problems in my neck. I’ve been fishing out of a larger CC. It sucks for fishing but it’s good on the body.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.
    If you have any physical problems or balance issues tin will be dangerous compared to the stability of glass.

8. Member
    Just received my 2021 Xpress X 18 pro(replaced an 2012 X 17) 2 weeks ago and been out in it 4 days now. As for stability in a tin boat, I weigh 220 and can now pee of the bow standing up rather than kneeling down or going to the transom and leaning against the motor. I've had a ruptured disc in my lower back and doctor wanted to replace both knees 5 years ago and this boat is easy on both those issues. I don't fish a lot of big lakes either, mainly coastal rivers, normally launch about 12 river miles from the open Gulf so we do get some nice waves at times

9. Member
    The costs of Aluminum boats have risen too close to glass. Especially used Glass boats. New 19 foot tin boat with a 150 hp or a slightly used 19 foot glass with a 200hp and warranty?
    I went down the tin road looking to buy new a few years ago. What I found was the tin boat market and costs were within a few thousand of a similarly equipped Glass.
    Some buy tin because its what they prefer. If your have back issues and tin isn't a necessity, then a glass boat is a no brainer.
    Aluminum boats have gotten better in the chop and stability, especially the Vexus, but they still do not come close to a good glass hull.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you have any physical problems or balance issues tin will be dangerous compared to the stability of glass.
    You have not been in a Vexus. I sold my Skeeter zx200 and bought a Vexus 1880. The Vexus is every bit as stable as my Skeeter was. Take a Ride in a Vexus and you will change your mind about a tin boat.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Member
    I went from an X-19 with a 200 Yamaha to a Bass Cat Pantera II with a 200. Night and day difference in fishing, with the Xpress you spend more time trying to keep the boat where you want it then fishing. Add in the leaking rod lockers, fit and finish, etc.. For my money i would go with a glass boat.

12. #FRB
    If going tin stick with 115 and under for hp unless the boat is built strong enough to handle a 150 and above like Xpress. I've owned two 19' glass boats with a 200hp, a 1436 with a 20hp, and my current tin rig (see sig) bought new is my favorite out of all of them for numerous reasons. It all has to do with your needs and wants. Since you have back and neck issues I'd go with something to rides really nice. I hear Phoenix boats are about as good as it gets for ride in the newer boat category.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtruman View Post
    I went from an X-19 with a 200 Yamaha to a Bass Cat Pantera II with a 200. Night and day difference in fishing, with the Xpress you spend more time trying to keep the boat where you want it then fishing. Add in the leaking rod lockers, fit and finish, etc.. For my money i would go with a glass boat.
    Life's too short to go without spot lock.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Member
    You can’t compare a Tin boat to a Bass Cat Puma or Cougar not even close. I just went through the same process and ended up getting a Bass Cat PIV. I liked the Ranger 198P, but just couldn’t talk myself into it because it was a tin rig and I fish big water.

15. Member
    No matter which aluminum boat you buy, it will not ride as good as a fiberglass boat if both are the same size. For the money, a used glass will suit your needs much better. I've owned several aluminum boats and none ever came close to glass in comfort and smooth ride. But I am considering selling my glass boat and buying aluminum because it will be used on the river and not in rough water. Also, I don't have any physical issues if it gets a little bumpy.

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    No matter which aluminum boat you buy, it will not ride as good as a fiberglass boat if both are the same size. For the money, a used glass will suit your needs much better. I've owned several aluminum boats and none ever came close to glass in comfort and smooth ride. But I am considering selling my glass boat and buying aluminum because it will be used on the river and not in rough water. Also, I don't have any physical issues if it gets a little bumpy.
    Hull design has EVERYTHING to do with how a tin rig rides just like with a glass boat. Most of the tin rigs are just glorified jon boats that will beat you to death and that's how you get haters because they don't know any better. Every boat is a compromise somewhere and no one boat will fit everyone's needs. The two biggest mistakes someone can make it to either buy a boat they can barely make the payments on and then can't really afford to use it AND buy someone else's problems that can easily cost more per month on average than buying a brand new boat similar to it.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

17. Banned
    Pro V bass will ride better than most glass boats, just slower.

18. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I think the wife was tired of hearing me talk about it and told me to buy a new boat. Think I’m going to order a 819

19. #FRB
    Thanks for the replies. I think the wife was tired of hearing me talk about it and told me to buy a new boat. Think I’m going to order a 819
    LOL gotta love it when she finally gives in. That 819 will be a great rig for you.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

20. Member
    Excellent choice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast