Float fishing steelhead

Just finished up this years trip and i think i need to learn how to fish a float vs running baits behind the boat, whats the set up for doing this rod length, line and such then the set up below the float how to set that up, watched a few youtube videos but its not what i am seeing on the river. talking the manistee river

2. Member
    This is a pretty good article if you haven't already read it.

https://www.glangler.com/blogs/artic...-by-dan-robson

3. Member
    that was helpful and answers some question, here are a few i still have would a 9.5 or 10 spinning rod be best, mono or braid for main line and what size, should beads or spawn sack be used

4. Member
    I would stick with mono if you're going with a spinning reel. Honestly though, a center pin set up is the way to go for float fishing. Rod length depends on what river you plan on fishing. Big rivers like the Manistee, you can get away a longer rod. Most people I know who strictly float/center pin fish use at least an 11 foot rod.

5. Member
    Forgot to mention, fastest easiest way to shorten the learning curve would be to hire a guide.

6. Member
    The rod used for a center pin is it the same as a long spinning rod

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    The rod used for a center pin is it the same as a long spinning rod
    Pretty sure they are normally built on a fly rod blank.

8. Member
    did a little more research on a rod and reel for center pin fishing what are you using

9. Member
    I've only done it a couple times and used a friends set up. His reel was an Islander I believe(very pricey) and the rod was a custom built Claybanks I believe. I think Okuma makes a center pin reel that isn't super expensive. There is a fly shop in Wellston that could get ya started in the right direction. I will post a link for that shop.

10. Member
    It appears the fly shop I was going to recommend is out of business. Get a hold of this shop in Baldwin, they will be able to give you some help.
    https://fishbaldwin.com/