Bass Bite in the Cold

My brother and I went out fishing on Saturday 10/24 on a lake about 20 mins north of the Metro. Went for about 3 hours, each caught a nice chunk, and each had action from one other fish. My brother caught a 5 pounder, and I got about a 3 pounder. All caught on 1/2oz jigs fishing the outside drops/weedline. Overall stayed pretty warm as the wind was light. I had another bass hit my jig (at least 3lbs)!right next to the boat as I was pulling it out of the water. I set the hook as I saw it and the fish didn't get hooked, but did fly out of the water and almost into the boat. First time I have ever had that happen! The boat was probably in 15' of water, he must have wanted that All Terrain jig.

2. Member
    I spent the weekend getting my boat cleaned out and ready to take in and get winterized. Maybe I should've been out on Saturday one last time!

What was the surface temp?

3. Member
    Water temps read between 39.5 and I think the highest was 43.3. My goal was to catch one fish!

4. Member
    Lots of ice on the eyelets of my rod!

The largies were still eating jerkbaits for me. Plenty of time to catch smallies until it freezes. Warm up on the way!

6. Member
    I have been trying some jerkbaits as well, but haven't been able to get anything to hit them besides pike!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Warm up on the way!
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Warm up on the way!

I'm still not going out again!

9. Member
    Wonder how many docks are still out on the ramps? Will get out this coming week as it looks good all week long!

hope the water warms up enough to get some fish active.

I plan to get out for a few hours around kids activities this weekend, local largies, if I had more time I would make the drive and chase smallies

11. Member
    I hope to get out a little on Sunday. I know most of the lakes near me have had the docks pulled.

12. Member
    I may try to get out again next week with the warm up on the way.

13. Member
    No fishing for me over the weekend. I am taking a half day off tuesday and heading out for a few hours! Looks like winter is really coming soon (in a week), so might be the last outing before putting the boat in storage.

Shopping for a new SUV killed my weekend plans, hope to slide in the water a bit tomorrow

15. Member
    I think I saw it was supposed to be 70 today! Freaking 70!!!!! Hopefully they are biting.

16. Member
    So got out yesterday, didn't see a single bass. Got out at about 1 to 4pm, full sun. Water temps were 43 to 45. I am blaming super high pressure and wacky weather changing. Tried the following along the deep weedline: 1/2oz jig in craw color, jerkbait, squarebills in various colors, stupid tube in green with black/red fleck. No takers. The lake I was on doesn't he much deeper structure, so stuck to the weedline. A kayak fisherman was getting off the lake as I was arriving and he said it was slow for him too, but that he did catch a 5 pounder in the morning, but nothing since. Hope to get out again on Saturday if the weather holds out.

17. Member
    Boat finally went to storage.....always a sad day.

I’m not done yet! Smallies will bite all winter and I caught largemouth on chatterbaits last Sunday. 50 degree water if you knew where to look last weekend. The green ones will be tougher this weekend after the cold temps.