TJNYSNP

helped a guy who backed off the cement ramp at low tide ... get trailer out

it was an exceptionally low tide

TIP #1: When the water is low, only back down your trailer "as much" as you need to get the boat off the trailer. The guy unfortunately went back pretty far beyond how far back he needed and created this problem.

TIP #2: His right tier would not clear over the cement edge off ramp, the metal rim front edge kept banging and just wouldn't come forward in 4WD. We found a big piece of driftwood... had to be a good 10" across in diameter. We were able to jam that under the trailer beam on the side that would not clear. He pulled the trailer out slowly.... the trailer on the one side rode on top of that piece of wood... wheel cleared and came back on ramp.....

fixed

hope this helps someone

2. Member
    We had that happen on my uncle's deck boat one time in the late fall, really cold water temps. Fortunately one of us had waders with us and we pulled the winch strap out, wrapped it under one of the cross members on the trailer and hooked it to the bow eye. Then put the boat in reverse to lift the trailer up, and slowly pulled forward with the truck until the tire was back on the ramp. Once we got the trailer tire back up, we loaded the boat like normal. Worked very well for us.

Which ramp? That one in roundout will do that..

Power loading is often the cause of the hole at the end of the slab. Some places current can do it. Backing off it can certainly cause tire, spring and axle damage trying to pull out loaded. Better to get trailer back on slab empty, even if you have to wait on tide to reload boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Backing off it can certainly cause tire, spring and axle damage trying to pull out loaded. Better to get trailer back on slab empty
    Yes it can. Don't ask how I know!

6. Member
    Been there done that. Winter time at lake wylie.
    Not a fun time.

7. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Which ramp? That one in roundout will do that..
    That's the one.... i forget the name..... the guy was in a rush to get a couple of late fishing hours in in think and he mistakingly backed his trailer down off the edge when he dropped in the boat. If you are careful you should be able to get the boat off/on even on this ramp by just edging the boat off i've found at any tide

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    We had that happen on my uncle's deck boat one time in the late fall, really cold water temps. Fortunately one of us had waders with us and we pulled the winch strap out, wrapped it under one of the cross members on the trailer and hooked it to the bow eye. Then put the boat in reverse to lift the trailer up, and slowly pulled forward with the truck until the tire was back on the ramp. Once we got the trailer tire back up, we loaded the boat like normal. Worked very well for us.
    Ingenious! Never would have thought of that.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    Excellent

10. Member
    That's good thinking on both stories.

^ that’s a very good idea...

12. Member
    A few years ago as I was coming back in to load back up, there was a guy and his wife at the ramp in the same situation...trailer stuck. He was mad as hell and yelling all kinds of things at his wife who was driving the truck. Long story short, we had him back his boat off and from the bow of my boat we floated over the end of his trailer and used an anchor to grab his trailer, ran the line through my bow eye and slowly backed up. It floated the trailer nicely and his wife pulled the truck forward slowly while I let line out through my bow eye. My partner had to keep my boat in reverse to do it. No one had to go swimming and he apologized to his wife who didn't speak to him at all!

13. Member
    Back in the day, early 80's, I watched a gentleman completely rip the solid axle out from under his trailer trying to get the wheels back on the concrete, bad move, the ramp was 28 inches thick at the end, not only did he tear the axle out but when it did the truck and trailer took off and guess what happened then, that's right the motor caught the end of the ramp and pulled the boat completely off the trailer and onto the ramp. With 150 boats in the tournament waiting to load up, might add this was a Thursday evening tourny that was from 5-8 pm, so it was starting to get dark as well. We had to hook straps to boats and get 20 people to push on the boat to get it back in the water. Don't know what the end result was, but never saw those 2 guys at the tourny again. Point is pay attention to what your doing, there was even a sign that said END OF RAMP.

14. Member
    Great thread. Enjoyable to read (at some unfortunate folks expense). Learned a lot of great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    That's the one.... i forget the name..... the guy was in a rush to get a couple of late fishing hours in in think and he mistakingly backed his trailer down off the edge when he dropped in the boat. If you are careful you should be able to get the boat off/on even on this ramp by just edging the boat off i've found at any tide

launched there many times, although I am always concerned about my truck getting broken into.