Question power loss while running full throttle 1989 Suzuki dt 175 outboard

was running across the lake at full throttle when all of a sudden i completely lost power and came to an idle. boat would not go anywhere or get up on plane and power just wasn't there. motor would start but no power and running weird. i noticed a red light indicator icon on water guage, the icon had like water ripples across it and lit up red. i dont think i have ever seen that light lit up before. i pulled lower unit to find impeller in great condition. what should i be looking for ? Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    Chuck, check your water sensors. Would the boat run but not go over 1500rpms? Was the engine beeping?

3. Member
    I hope not but it isn't impossible you picked up something on the intakes of the L/U that stopped water flow. I picked up a plastic bag once and fried a good 65 HP 'Rude. Do you have a water pressure gauge?
    Are there thermostats in your motor?

4. Member
    Had a similar problem once, was a bad kill switch connection. Check the battery for good connections. Another time, the fuel filter was full.of water. Thermostats may be bad. May have overheated and shut itself down. Had that happen plenty of times. Eel grass!!! Sounds like the motor is still intact.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"