Understanding depth

Hello all,

As a new boater I spend an evening this last weekend getting more accustomed to my new boat.

Currently have a 93sv at the console and a 106sv at bow. After spending about an hour at Truman Lake in MO, I managed to find my lower unit in a gravel bar in an area where I expected to be in much deeper water according to the map.

upload pic

According to the map, I should have been in somewhere between 17-20ft of water. Pulled the motor up and trolled out without any hull damage and relatively minor damage to the skeg (Though it did hurt being in the first two weeks I have had this boat.)

I then went on the check a few more things. Truman is only a couple of feet below standard pool (At least to my understanding).

I went on to check into Navionics (which is owned by Garmin and had the Navionics Boating HD app) and found the following:

As a newer boater, I am wanting to make sure I am navigating correctly, and feel a little let down trusting technology.

What should I be looking at to feel more confident navigating in the future?

Thanks,

Russ

Some lakes or areas just are not that good and that happens on all manufacturers I run lowrance with a navionics map, and birds with lakemaster maps along with my garmin, normally they are very similar but sometimes I just won't look at one because it is sub par. I do look on my phone at navionics before fishing a new lake and I seem to remember enough that I can start questioning what I'm seeing on the boat. In addition to mapping I always have a 2 d sonar visible and that works good enough till I have confidence in the map.

also my Lowrance and birds have base maps in them, they are normally less particular than the cards that are inserted but sometimes those base maps are better than the upgrade cards. I'm not sure if garmin can accept aftermarket mapping cards to hopefully remedy your issue.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

And turn your shallow warning on

4. Member
    I got the 126sv which comes with the Lakeview G3. Sorry but I find the maps are absolutely terrible (central Colorado). I spend alot of time making my own and studying Google Earth.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I never look at a map

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    And turn your shallow warning on

And just how would that work if the unit says you are in 20 ft of water

7. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmmmm

8. Member
    It could be that the shallow water alarm works off the transducer depth, not the chart depth.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    It could be that the shallow water alarm works off the transducer depth, not the chart depth.
    That is how my Simrad works with the 3/1 transducer.