Bearings and brakes?

2004 stratos 201, original bearings and breaks. Gonna be a winter project to replace them all. What parts do I need? How hard is this job? Thanks!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The odds are very slim you need bearings. Clean them up and inspect them for rust or signs of overheating, replace the seals and put it back together. Bearings last forever in trailer use unless something goes wrong.

Get seals, pads, grease and cotter pins or castle nut retainers. Wait until you have it apart to consider bearings and races.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    +1 on bearings unless they are needed. More sourced items from China and you might get lucky and get a good replacement or you might get a less than comparable bearing. I have experienced this with suspension parts for cars and trucks.

4. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. ourflat
    My recent hub maintenance was nasty. Someone took one of the cool hubs and packed it with grease because they broke the allen wrench head off in the hub set screw. Had to drill 2 new holes in 2 hubs. I have come to the conclusion that trailer maintenance bits the big one.....

Frank

I converted my oil bath to Vault on my '05 a couple months ago. In hindsight, I should've just changed the oil and moved on. Bearings, etc were perfectly fine.

7. Member
    as Javelin 389 mentioned I too converted mine from oil hubs to grease hubs. At least with the grease hubs if they fail you can keep pumping them full of grease to get back home. Oil hub seal fail it is harder to travel longer distance as grease hubs. It is messier than the oil hubs in general dripping on the rims sitting idle.

8. Member
    I’m uncomfortable with the oil hub and more or less no maintenance but they haven’t failed so far. I need to buy a spare hub in case it happens though so I can swap over on the road.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

9. Member
    When you get into the hubs/bearings, make sure you check the spring shackles and bushings. I put all new hubs and brakes on My 2004 and all of the spring bushings were almost gone and the equalizer between the springs were both extremely worn.