Thread: BASS what if

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BASS what if

Let's say an angler, like Cody Bird, wins an Open (which he did) and qualifies for the Classic in 2021 (by fishing all the division and thus being qualified), but doesn't qualify for the Elites in 2021. He goes on to win the Classic in 2021. Does he get invited back to the Classic in 2022 ever though he didn't qualify for the Elites and thus didn't fish them? The Luke Clausen "rule" comes to mind.
    I know, I get bored easily....

2. Banned
    I don't know, but do you think Hackney and Christie are coming back? (sarcasm)

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    No he doesn't get to defend unless he fished the Elites or won another Open. No different than Ott DeFoe not defending his Classic win.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    No, I think all classic winners are invited back to defend the title. Both Clausen and DeFoe chose not to come back. But maybe some tweaks would be made to accommodate him.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    No, I think all classic winners are invited back to defend the title. Both Clausen and DeFoe chose not to come back. But maybe some tweaks would be made to accommodate him.
    Wrong. This is from DeFoe himself.....the bold is mine.

I will not be fishing. It is not any single tournament organization's fault, either. It was ultimately my decision. When we chose to fish the Bass Pro Tour instead of the Elite Series, we knew this would be the last Classic I would qualify for. Per B.A.S.S. rules, you must fish the Elite Series in order to receive your automatic berth for the next year.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Banned
    Clausen did not come back to BASS after winning the Classic because of his sponsorship with GM/Chevy back in 2006 if i remember right. Bassmaster would not let him fish with a 'FLW' emblem on his shirt/jersey so he decided just to stay with FLW. Could be wrong though...

7. Member
    Naw, Flw paid him to not fish it and gave him a multi years contract. Both Clausen and DeFoe chose not to come back. But maybe some tweaks would be made to accommodate him.... jus sayin

8. Member
    Sure he can come back. Look at it like thisSay Tommy wins at shot at the Classic thru the team tournament trail championship in December. Then wins the Classic in 2021. You know BASS is gonna want him back in 2022. Unless he goes to a trail that is not Affiliated with BASS, then they would cut him and talk trash about him like JH did about Luke and David

9. Member
    It's actually the "wood dave's" rule, that the returning champ only comes back the next year if they fish the top level (Elites now) ....if eligible. It's that rule that prevented Clausen from returning. If it's a Nation angler, or someone not eligible to fish the Elites the following year, they get invited back to defend their Classic title. Believe BASS did an article on it when Mueller was leading his first Classic as a Nation angler

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Clausen did not come back to BASS after winning the Classic because of his sponsorship with GM/Chevy back in 2006 if i remember right. Bassmaster would not let him fish with a 'FLW' emblem on his shirt/jersey so he decided just to stay with FLW. Could be wrong though...
    This is not correct.

He was required to fish the entire Elite circuit and chose to fish FLW instead.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-91 View Post
    Naw, Flw paid him to not fish it and gave him a multi years contract. Both Clausen and DeFoe chose not to come back. But maybe some tweaks would be made to accommodate him.... jus sayin
    The chose not to fish the entire Elite circuit.

If they had the option to come back just for the Classic, they would have. BASS didn't let them.

12. Banned
    You need to google it and see. Luke was part of the Chevy/FLW team and BASS would not allow him to wear his sponsers jersey with a FLW emblem on it. Luke would have had to drop his team deal with Chevy/FLW to fish with BASS.

13. Member
    Cody bird....good god i had an interesting ride with that fella once on Texoma...ive never seen ANYONE "use" a bass boat like that...we ran the red till it was dang near dry...we powered over massive trees in what i can only call a creek...that was barely as wide as the boat...it was...exciting..ish..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    You need to google it and see. Luke was part of the Chevy/FLW team and BASS would not allow him to wear his sponsers jersey with a FLW emblem on it. Luke would have had to drop his team deal with Chevy/FLW to fish with BASS.
    My understanding is the last part is true, and that's why he went with FLW over BASS. The Chevy team deal was tied to fishing FLW (they had a bunch of team deals they managed at the time, they weren't personal deals like now) and wouldn't apply if he left FLW.

The "emblem" was secondary to the fact that it was an FLW controlled deal.

I would bet as long as he fished a full season of Opens they would invite him back to defend his Classic title

16. Banned
    Yep, just because of a emblem. They could have blurred it out during filming.

Quote Originally Posted by OHellnofishin View Post
    Cody bird....good god i had an interesting ride with that fella once on Texoma...ive never seen ANYONE "use" a bass boat like that...we ran the red till it was dang near dry...we powered over massive trees in what i can only call a creek...that was barely as wide as the boat...it was...exciting..ish..
    Cody is a former rodeo hand/bullrider. He has been at this deal a long time and it was great to see him get the win. It all means so much to him and that is awesome to see. He might be one to watch on Lewisville next month as well as in the Classic. Both are in his backyard.

18. Banned
    I have no idea who Cody Bird is so I thought I might go to the BASS website and learn a little bit about him. It lists his hobby as fishing, very insightful I tell you.

19. Member
    I hadn’t heard his name since the early 2000’s it seems. Remembered him being a pretty young guy sponsored by a plastics company, maybe Lake Fork? I think he had his name on a funky weedless wacky rig worm. Did he hang it up for a while?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Cody is a former rodeo hand/bullrider. He has been at this deal a long time and it was great to see him get the win. It all means so much to him and that is awesome to see. He might be one to watch on Lewisville next month as well as in the Classic. Both are in his backyard.

Oh dont take it the wrong way we had fun and he was entertaining as heck since every fish I caught as a co was "a mistake" as he called it. We were on a flipping bite and i managed a fair limit behind him lol. I was just happy to be out and had a great time. Im glad to see him do well he was a great guy to fish with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast