Problem with bolts on power poles

Need help with the bottom bolts on my pole poles. I can not get a socket or wrench on the bolts, to tighten the loose bolts.The bolt is recessed just enough, so I can't get a bite on it with a socket or wrench.

You didn't say which poles you have. I just went out to the boat and used two 9/16 sockets 1/4" drive to loosen the bolt/nuts on my Blades.

3. Member
    Just purchased this 2016 Skeeter ZX250, so I think they are pro 2 maybe. I didn't know if you needed a special socket or wrench. it needs to be thinner than my tools. The bolt is recessed just enough that can't get a bite on it.

A higher quality socket tend to have thinner walls. That being said a 6 point socket is thicker then a 12 point socket but won't have the torque capacity of the 6 point.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    My dad has some thinner ones. I'm going over now to try them. Thank you

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Could be that the bushings are worn and it has elongated the rail holes as to why cant get on it with a regular socket and wrench. It shouldnt be a issue w basic tools nothing special needed.

8. Member
    The bottom two lock nuts have been rounded and sucked in more than the others.The thinner socket did help and I did get it little tighter, but I will need to change those out. Thanks

9. mikesxpress
    Ricky if you couldn't tighten them with normal hand tools the shell itself is most likely worn and may need to be replaced. A bolt/bushing kit will not help if material is missing. I went thru this on a set of Series II poles. Without maintaining the tightening of the bolts and vibration it causes the head of the bolt and nut to wear into the shell recess area.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ricky if you couldn't tighten them with normal hand tools the shell itself is most likely worn and may need to be replaced. A bolt/bushing kit will not help if material is missing. I went thru this on a set of Series II poles. Without maintaining the tightening of the bolts and vibration it causes the head of the bolt and nut to wear into the shell recess area.
    same as I mentioned above, suspect we are correct Mike.

11. Member
    Thanks Guys, will "Power pole" sell me what I need to fix the problem or will I need buy new poles. When I notice one shaking more than the other one, I knew I had a problem.

glad the thinner socket helped now sound like you have a little work to do.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjj263 View Post
    Thanks Guys, will "Power pole" sell me what I need to fix the problem or will I need buy new poles. When I notice one shaking more than the other one, I knew I had a problem.
    yes they can sell you what you need prob will even work with you on price on the new rails if indeed there shot. my guess is they are

14. Member
    I will give them a call, Thanks

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjj263 View Post
    I will give them a call, Thanks