Question What reel for a ML 7' spinning rod?

Inherited a 7' Fenwick Techna AV ML spinning rod few years back. Never used, but now want to start throwing small 1/16 to 1/8 oz minnow baits on it. Wondering what size (and reasonably-priced) reel you'd recommend. Plan to use 8 or 10 pound braid to 6 or 8 pound mono/copoly, or maybe even fluoro, respectively. Thanks in advance.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

2. Member
    Can’t beat a Pflueger President size 30 reel. Great drag, smooth, and they last forever.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Diawa Fuego 2500

4. Member
    Shimano nasci 1000 or 2500 or Stradic.

5. Member
    Dollar for dollar, I have to agree with the Pflueger President in a size 30 or 35 in that $60 range. Bass Pro often promotes their Carbonlite spinning reels (made by Daiwa) for around $60 and that's also a very nice reel. Daiwa Fuego and Shimano Nasci are both very nice in the $100 range. When you get over that they are all pretty nice - it just depends on how much you want to spend.

6. Member
    Don't have that rod. But I do have a few ML spinning rods.
    I have Cashion, Helium 3, Carbon lite , Shakespeare rods.
    I use the Carbon lite , Pt ,Pflueger, and few Shimano reels
    As said above,it's what you want to spend.
    I have them from size 20, 30,35....l use them from Bass fishing to pan fishing.

7. Member
    Those Techna AVs are great rods. So are the Daiwa BG 2000/2500 reels.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Can’t beat a Pflueger President size 30 reel. Great drag, smooth, and they last forever.
    THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

This reel is excellent for the price, drag is very good for under 100 reel.

Yep, great value for the money.

Daiwa BG is where I'd be looking. Fantastic reels that punch way, way above their weight class. Super smooth action (the handle screws directly into the frame, so there's no slop like you get with the "pass through" style where you attach the handle via a nut on the opposite side), super smooth drag, and they really just feel solid. Tough to explain that last part, but if you fish one you'll know what I mean. Price point is killer right at $100. They don't get mentioned often, I think because they're marketed as saltwater reels. Good thing the bass don't know!

I've mentioned it several times on this board: I have several of them that I fish regularly. I also have a Tatula LT, a reel that retails for nearly twice as much. I like the BGs better.

You can't go wrong with a 2500 size for all around use. Even though you're using it for lighter stuff, I think a wider spool will do you good vs a smaller size that might seem appropriate for such small baits, especially since you're considering spooling up mono or fluoro.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a Pflueger Supreme XT 30 that I bought many years ago, but the handle often came loose, so that bothered me and I stopped using it. Just kept it around as a spare if needed. I guess I'll give it a try and see. If not, I might go with a Daiwa Fuego. Buddy has one and likes it. I actually tried it out a little, it it seemed to be a nice little reel especially for the money. For spinning reels, I've always tended to lean towards Quantum. But I'll see how it goes with the Pflueger first. Haven't been able to get on the water since my original post. I know... what's wrong with me, right? Well, work and life in general.
    Last edited by Bass Pro Shopper; 11-08-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

13. Member
    I just picked up some Daiwa BG's for $82 each shipped, best deal in reels period.

14. Member
    Next few weeks sales are gonna pick in. I am a bit can of older daiwa emblem reels. I've gotta 5 this year on ebay. Amazing reels.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

15. Member
    I would say a 20 or 2000 size reel for that rod with good drag system. I have bought two Abu Garcia Revo S reels and they both are complete junk !!

16. Member
    Another vote here for the Daiwa BG. I have 2 Pflugers, a Nasci, 2 Saharas and a Revros (a good value reel) but the BG is my favorite.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos18xl View Post
    Shimano nasci 1000 or 2500 or Stradic.
    This!!!!! NASCI if on a budget is hard to beat. If money isn't a big deal the stradic 1000 or 2000 is great, Another option would be the Daiwa Tatula LT series. Shop around and wiat for a good deal if you aren't in a hurry. The stradic and daiwa are much lighter, if weight isn't an issue the Nasci is awesome.

18. Member
    I have several ml setups and really like the daiwa regal 2000 for the price

19. Member
    A daiwa 2500 or 3000 sized reel would be a good choice. Bigger spool help with casting light baits. Only down side to that is they are a bit heavier. I am just starting to add some larger reels to the mix. Got a 3000 emblem this spring, really nice. Got a 3500 emblem that is gonna be my winter rebuild project. Next year I am planning on putting together a rod with fireline for small jerkbaits.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"