Questions about Lowrance SS 3D on HDS Gen3

Over the last 8 years, I have slowly upgraded from Gen1 HDS and LSS-1 To HDS9 Gen3 and LSS-2 on the console and HDS12 Gen3 and HDI on the bow. I don’t see a carbon or Live in my future but am considering a SS3D and module connected to my Gen3’s.
    I read the post on SS3D vs AI and would like some input on these questions:
    1) I spend a lot of time fishing open water for Stripers, Whites and Hybrids and the ability to see fish is important to me. The SS3D screen shot showing the fish in the mentioned thread was impressive but I think it was on a Live unit which I understand has a higher screen resolution than the Gen3. Does the SS3D look as good on a Gen3 as on a carbon or Live?
    2) The mentioned thread mentions updates 18.2 and 18.3. Are they referring to SS3D module updates or HDS updates?
    3) I am currently running update 7.0 on my Gen3’s. If I add SS3D, what is the best update?
    4) I don’t think I can pull the large 3D transducer cable through the crowded wiring tunnel on my little Tin boat. Would it be a problem to put the Module in the bilge and run the Ethernet cable to the console?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    I ran 3D for a long time on my Gen 3 and was very happy even more so now with a Carbon. I always have used the latest software update available for an units and modules so I can’t comment on falling back to earlier versions. Certainly there was an update to allow Gen 3 to even work with 3D but I’m not sure which one it was.
    If you can be sure the bilge area doesn’t get wet, it might be ok to mount the module HIGH up on a wall. Personally, I wouldn’t. Think of it this way, if you had a high-end automotive stereo would you mount it in the bilge? With batteries there is always condensation and fumes. It might work but is it worth risking $1000?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Thanks NoCal,
    I do have a good spot to mount the module against the transom, high and dry, just need to move some things around.
    I may be making too much of pulling the transducer cable, I have not seen one, just a picture. That big Y splitter is what bothers me.

4. Member
    I am running the 18.3 on the 3d ss and 18.2 on a carbon 7 unit and its nice. I got a gen3 hds 9 on the back and its just as nice as carbon unit. I will try and pull scrrenshots off today and post a couple for you. I am running the last update for the gen3 on it.

5. Member
    Screenshot_2020-09-05_13.18.37.pngScreenshot_2020-08-29_12.04.42.pngScreenshot_2020-08-29_12.02.25.png

they not the best. i need to work on contrast. its a little too hot. i believe part of them are whites and catfish. the lake has both in it.

Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    I am running the 18.3 on the 3d ss and 18.2 on a carbon 7 unit and its nice. I got a gen3 hds 9 on the back and its just as nice as carbon unit. I will try and pull scrrenshots off today and post a couple for you. I am running the last update for the gen3 on it.
    Thank you, this is very helpful. I will start looking for a Used 3D module and transducer.

7. Member
    I probably have the 3D unit, but not sure about an extra 'ducer. I can look when I get to the lake this weekend. PM me if you are interested and I will see what I have available.
    Last edited by 84rickygreen; 10-29-2020 at 06:47 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Over the last 8 years, I have slowly upgraded from Gen1 HDS and LSS-1 To HDS9 Gen3 and LSS-2 on the console and HDS12 Gen3 and HDI on the bow. I don’t see a carbon or Live in my future but am considering a SS3D and module connected to my Gen3’s.
    I read the post on SS3D vs AI and would like some input on these questions:
    1) I spend a lot of time fishing open water for Stripers, Whites and Hybrids and the ability to see fish is important to me. The SS3D screen shot showing the fish in the mentioned thread was impressive but I think it was on a Live unit which I understand has a higher screen resolution than the Gen3. Does the SS3D look as good on a Gen3 as on a carbon or Live?
    2) The mentioned thread mentions updates 18.2 and 18.3. Are they referring to SS3D module updates or HDS updates?
    3) I am currently running update 7.0 on my Gen3’s. If I add SS3D, what is the best update?
    4) I don’t think I can pull the large 3D transducer cable through the crowded wiring tunnel on my little Tin boat. Would it be a problem to put the Module in the bilge and run the Ethernet cable to the console?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

pm sent