Merc 2 stroke to a 4?

I have a 2015 921ProXp that came with a Merc 250 2 stroke. I only have around 115 hours on it. I'm considering selling it and going for the 4 stroke motor. Is it worth it? What's hole shot like and top speed compared to the 2? What about that mid-range punch when accelerating from 45 mph?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Not worth it for the motor alone imo went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke not a huge difference

3. Member
    Not worth it

4. Member
    I went to a 4 on my boat, but only because my motor was 15 years old and getting unreliable and costly. It was about 14k difference after I sold my old one. Had merc had the new V8 back then I might have been able to use my controls and get by cheaper.

5. Member
    If you have a low hour motor then no. I went to a 4 stroke because mine had more hours,what you save on oil you spend on gas.

6. Banned
    You 2 stroke will go for top dollar with only 115 hours!!

Quote Originally Posted by EL Skeeter View Post
    You 2 stroke will go for top dollar with only 115 hours!!
    That's what I'm thinking. I have a couple more years of warranty too. It's not as big a leap $. And I have the latest, greatest. I don't need to change my controls. I have Merc smart gauges already.
    What do you think my motor is worth?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

8. Member
    I looked at this same option. My 2016 250hp has 175hrs with Platinum till 2024. Dealer told me its worth around $10k. I've been wanting to upgrade electronics as well so I just decided to go with a new boat. By the time I do the motor and electronics upgrade it's not that much more just to get a whole new rig with the good resale I currently have on my boat. Hope to be placing my order soon :)
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy's Bullet View Post
    If you have a low hour motor then no. I went to a 4 stroke because mine had more hours,what you save on oil you spend on gas.
    Spend on gas? I have never heard anyone say that fuel consumption on their 4s is worse than a 2s, always the other way around. I can't believe how much less fuel I use.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekettwig View Post
    Spend on gas? I have never heard anyone say that fuel consumption on their 4s is worse than a 2s, always the other way around. I can't believe how much less fuel I use.
    Can’t be concerned with oil or gas efficiency with a monster motor on the transom. Like someone get a one ton truck and not liking the city fuel mileage. They all drink it up. Especially if you keep it pegged to the floor like I do.
    2014 920/SHO

11. Member
    It has 2 more cylinders and it is not direct injection ,it will not be as good.